What is wrong with this picture?

Monday a school bus driver was fired for taking the 5 grade students on a detour after their field trip. He drove them by the court house so they can see some protesting going on. Parents are demanding criminal charges are filed. About a month ago, a school bus driver was DRUNK and had a loaded gun with her while driving students around, she did not have a gun handlers permit. The only thing that happen to her she was suspended from her job for a while and received a DUI. She is back to work. What is wrong with this picture? Am I the only one that see's a problem here? YES he shouldn't have taken the kids on a detour but he was fired and they are looking into pressing criminal charges, someone drives drunk with a bunch of kids on the bus yet she keeps her job and a slap on the wrist. It says she MAY face charges but there was an update that I am still trying to find that the decided not to file charges.

http://www.fox13now.com/news/local/kstu-school-trip-trial-protests-detour,0,1799935.story

http://www.fox13now.com/news/local/kstu-school-bus-driver-arrested-driving-drunk-gun,0,7928007.story

mommy_of_two388

Asked by mommy_of_two388 at 1:37 PM on Mar. 3, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• What kind of criminal charges? Kidnapping? He definitely shouldn't have done it but he shouldn't be charged either, and should not lose his job. She on the other hand should have been fired and charged and found guilty for how many offenses...driving drunk with a loaded gun on a school bus full of children. Reads like a no-brainer to me.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 1:47 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Local, community control of schools, their teachers, superintendents and peripheral personnel as well as curricula will solve nearly all of the problems occurring in our schools today. That is the way it was fifty years ago and that generation is infinitely better educated and with greater character and moral responsiveness than what issues forth from America's schools today. Abolish the Department of Education and then let local districts listen to the parents. Proper federal funding will result when your own child's welfare is at stake.
    annabarred

Answer by annabarred at 1:47 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Should be fired on the spot!
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 1:41 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• wow!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:41 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• It seems placing your child on a bus these days is taking a huge leap of faith. You hear almost weekly reoports of kids getting forgotten on the bus, undetected, & unattended for hours at a time. There was a driver in Washington State who was seen on video yanking a 6 y/o girl backward by her backpack b/c she was turned around in her seat. They need to find another line of employment! (Granted, you couldnt pay me enough to be a bus driver, but if you cant handle the heat- dont work in the kitchen- right)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 1:51 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• That is messed up.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 1:52 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I agree with mommy of two388.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 2:08 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• agreed with mommyoftwo388. And even if they were only 30 minutes late, what IF an accident would have happended on that detour? It could have been prevented.
    I am extremelyyy suprised that the drunk driver was not imprisoned also for reckless endagerment of a minor x how ever many kids were on that bus. Shocking to say the least.
    JDmommyJD

Answer by JDmommyJD at 6:55 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I do want to say neither bus driver should have their jobs. The one that took the kids ona  tour is wrong because he didn't have permission and if I as the parent and the bus didnt return for a couple hours later I would be scared out of my mind, Byt A drunk bus driver? What if she pulled a gun on the kids?

mommy_of_two388

Comment by mommy_of_two388 (original poster) at 1:53 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• He did have permission for the detour but he didn't inform them he was stopping. he wanted the children to know there can be peaceful protest and also the children stayed on the bus with the teachers so none of the children were out protesting.
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 8:14 PM on Mar. 3, 2011