Why oh why don't cream puffs rise for me?

Now that I made the recipe, I recall why I don't make these. I followed the directions to a T and now I'm guessing that maybe certain ovens do better than others. I'm a baker at heart, so I am taking this defeat ungraciously.

Philly247

Asked by Philly247 at 1:39 PM on Mar. 3, 2011 in Food & Drink

• What recipe are you using? I have had good success with Paula Deen's cream puff recipe.

http://www.food.com/recipe/chocolate-cream-puffs-with-hazelnut-filling-paula-deen-304874

Is your oven completely hot when you are putting them in? And what are you cooking them on? I use parchment paper and it works really well. I tried doing it on a regular cookie sheet and they stuck and didn't rise well.

SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:53 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I wish I could answer your question, but I just had to tell you that "Why oh why don't cream puffs rise for me?" has to be one of the best question titles I have read. It just tickles me for some reason.
    Good luck with your cream puffs!
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 1:40 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I can't help either, but now I want cream puffs. Damn you!!! :)
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 1:41 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Thanks for the laugh ladies, I really needed it.
    Philly247

Comment by Philly247 (original poster) at 1:44 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Thanks SleepingBeautee...I did not use parchment and I used a classic recipe from a cook book. I looked at the recipe you posted and this could actually work. Hope I have enough eggs left. And yes, the oven was completely preheated but maybe too hot since my recipe called for 400 degrees.
    Philly247

Comment by Philly247 (original poster) at 2:11 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Might it be an altitude issue?
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 2:12 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Well I am in Colorado at a pretty high elevation and the Paula Deed recipe works for me perfectly. I also let the mix cool a few minutes and scoop it into a freezer bag, seal and cut off the corner and smoosh the dough onto the baking sheet. It is much easier than using a spoon.

Good luck! Hope they turn out well.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:30 PM on Mar. 3, 2011