Something that accured to me about Wisconsin and Ohio?

Ok so they are cutting the roles of unions (putting it very simply) I understand only only a part of this like there right to fight for wage increase pass the inflation amount. That's ok imo but here is my question would those senators do the same?

I remember reading about my governor refusing a pay raise for the himself and the house until our stage budget was balanced. Which I thoroughly respected. Now I'm not the most informed person by any means, but curious why aren't they willing to take a pay cut, after all they too are state workers. I think that if they want to do this others they should do the same.

mommy-perks

Asked by mommy-perks at 1:45 PM on Mar. 3, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Just because they "agree" to it now, doesn't mean they won't change their minds and DEMAND more later... It's time to look out for the LONG TERM fiscally responsible choices for the entire state...  

The teachers , cops and fire fighters arent responsible for the politicians mismanagement of funds, yet they are being forced to pay for it...

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 2:49 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• The bill is an attack on public education and the lower and middle class in general. Despite teachers agreeing to pay for their health care and pensions, their collective bargaining rights are at risk

Teachers are being asked to CONTRIBUTE to their health ins and pension (not pay for 100%)... Most of the private sectors (who earn LESS on avg  than the WI public sector have to pay into their pension/health ins)... Collective bargaining hurts the taxpayers. Taxpayers within each jurisdiction should have a VOICE with their vote on how the people's money is spent. Power to the People....

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 2:10 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• and they agreed, but Walker doesnt care about that,,,,he has his agenda

Just because they "agree" to it now, doesn't mean they won't change their minds and DEMAND more later... It's time to look out for the LONG TERM fiscally responsible choices for the entire state...  

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 2:19 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• The teachers , cops and fire fighters arent responsible for the politicians mismanagement of funds, yet they are being forced to pay for it...

They DO play an indirect role in politics, politicians who get elected, and special interest groups with their unions dues....  I have seen teachers complain about the use of politicking with union dues and the union gives them the cold shoulder...  Interesting....  

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 3:01 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• My friend Jaina is a correctional officer here in WI. She tells me that taking away her bargaining rights allows the state to cut her hours,make her work ungodly amount of hours in a row,takes away her right to complain about how she is traeted,and can fire her with no warning. During all this crap with Walker,they threatened to fire her if she protested ON HER OWN TIME

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:51 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• As someone from Wisconsin who has been closely following the proposed bill and it's implications I can say this:
    The bill is an attack on public education and the lower and middle class in general. Despite teachers agreeing to pay for their health care and pensions, their collective bargaining rights are at risk. Funding for planned parenthood, public universities and primary schools as well as the requirement of school nurses and reading specialists (as well as most special education) is going to be cut- almost completely.
    The senator and legislators should follow the lead of the proposed bill but won't, because they don't care at all about personally helping solve the budget short falls in our state. I think Scott Walker is more concerned by standing firm as a republican to help solidify his chances of running for president in the future.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 2:01 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I suppose it's quite easy for those who are either unemployed or work in an industry that operates from 8-5 or 8-3, to put themselves in the shoes of other workers-

I suppose it's quite easy to be condescending and flippant about a generalization. Did you bother to ask even ONE person who has or does work in a 24/7 position without union representation how that works before you decided they were all EEEEEEEEVIL?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:45 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• When Scott Walker - WI was elected County Exec in Milwaukee he did cut the pay of his position and as Governor wanted to cut some of the perks of that position as well, one in particular was having body guards and such but was told he could not because as Governor it is needed.
    Luvnlife4

Answer by Luvnlife4 at 1:52 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I do think in certain industries, particularly those that NEVER close, work hour's protections need to be in place, BEYOND labor laws- You can't evoke labor laws at 11PM when your relief calls in sick and you're being mandated to work another 8 hours-been there, done that. I suppose it's quite easy for those who are either unemployed or work in an industry that operates from 8-5 or 8-3, to put themselves in the shoes of other workers-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 1:59 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

And I could say you possibly have a point if the contracts that are being pushed through now before the bill passes had the unions taking the same concessions in them but they don't. Supposedly they are willing but not doing it right now.

Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 2:37 PM on Mar. 3, 2011