Heartburn

Is it safe to take prilosec OTC when you are pregnant?

anerd05

Asked by anerd05 at 7:03 AM on Nov. 21, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I think they only recommend Tums, Rollaids, etc. Ask your doctor. When I found out I was preggo this time the doctor gave me a list of "ok OTC meds". Usually, it's things that have been around for ages like Tylenol, Robitussin, Suddafed, etc. and always the regular strength. Best thing to do is ask. Just call up and talk to the nurse, she should be able to answer your question.
    Pregowithsecond

Answer by Pregowithsecond at 7:17 AM on Nov. 21, 2008

• don't take anythig you are not sure about before you ask you doctor. and when you call to ask i would ask what you can take for a cold and constipation(yes you will have constipation) and anything else you think you may come down with. kill two birds with one stone then you will know in the future and won't have to make the call again
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 7:26 AM on Nov. 21, 2008

• I took the RX form of pepcid. Its called rantacidine or something like that. Ask the doc before you take any OTC stuff, but most of them are pretty safe. They might want you to stick with Tums. They didn't work for me so she wrote me an RX.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:55 AM on Nov. 21, 2008

• its fine to take zantac. i took it everyday the last part of my pregnancy. of course check with the doc first.
    sterlids

Answer by sterlids at 10:19 AM on Nov. 21, 2008

• I would ask your doc to make sure but yes, I was told that Prilosec was safe during pregnancy. I take it as needed and my OB said that it's fine. I took prescription Prevacid with my 1st pregnancy and it really worked great. I NEVER had heartburn.
    blainesmommy03

Answer by blainesmommy03 at 10:34 AM on Nov. 21, 2008

• You can take Mylanta. I used to live on that stuff! You can't overdose on it either. My Dr. told me that was the safest thing to take.
    41andholdin

Answer by 41andholdin at 6:23 PM on Nov. 21, 2008