Would you consider Union Leader's~ "Fat Cats"?

I have heard 'certain' people on CM refer to high level executives and CEO's as greedy "Fat Cats".

So, when I came across this article I wondered.... Would you consider Union Leaders as greedy "fat cats"?

The Center for Public Integrity found compensation for leaders of the 10 largest unions ranged from $173,000 at the United Auto Workers to $618,000 at the Laborers' International Union of North America, and almost $480,000 for the president of the American Federation of State, County & Municipal Employees. The latter is the target of GOP governors in Wisconsin, Indiana, Ohio, Tennessee and Kansas.

The union reports, filed with the Department of Labor, list compensation for all union employees and officers. Salaries make up the biggest portion, but other benefits can include tens of thousands of dollars for meal allowances, mileage allowances and entertainment. Health care and pension contributions are not specifically addressed.

The reports show that assets of the various labor unions run into the hundreds of millions of dollars, and payrolls rival midsize companies. Among the Top 10 unions, dozens of top officials have salary-and-benefit packages that rank them among the top percentage of income-earners in the country.

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 1:59 PM on Mar. 3, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• "On the surface, the fight between the governor of Wisconsin and organized labor is about balancing state budgets and collective-bargaining rights. Behind the scenes, hundreds of millions of dollars in compensation to top labor leaders as well as campaign contributions to Democrats could be in jeopardy.

Union treasuries - filled by dues paid by union members - not only fund programs benefiting union members and their families. The money they collect also pays six-figure compensation packages for labor leaders and provides millions of dollars for Democratic causes and candidates."

grlygrlz2

Comment by grlygrlz2 (original poster) at 2:00 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Greedy? Check.

Fat cats? Double check.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 2:01 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• so you think they should,t make those alsaries...but you think CEO's getting paid MILLIONS are OK? redecoration their office to the tune of $1 million??

So what are YOUR suggestions on what they can make? and why are you OK with setting a boundry for THEM and NOT for corporate bogwigs?

You do realize that corp big wigs making more than 300 times their employees effects HOW MANY employees the co can hire, right?

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 2:07 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• As compared to the workers they represent, yes, the leaders are "fat". When compared to CEO's in big businesses, comme ci-comme ca.

I have mentioned that in my husband is a high level business ex in a large, American Co- he is NOT the CEO. Our good friend is a high level regional Union leader in the same industry in which my husband works. While our friend makes very good money, and what would be considered fat, when compared to the workers he represents, he makes less than my husband (our friend's income is publicly available). Kuddos to the men, neither let's their opposing work positions affect their friendship!

Also the salaries compared were when we all lived and worked in the same region.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 2:08 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I went to google images for Trumka and these 2 pics came up. no lie

jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 2:10 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Not just yeah, but HELL YEAH!
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:13 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

This statement makes no sense.... Why don't you have adnilm help you reconstruct an appropriate statement and re-send.. I would hate to see your lib buddy ridicule your grammar... Just looking out for ya.. That adnilm has been on a grammar mission, lately.. WHEW... Better watch out..

grlygrlz2

Comment by grlygrlz2 (original poster) at 2:13 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I could not however find a bogwig in google images or in the Webster Dictionary.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 2:14 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• This statement makes no sense.... Why don't you have adnilm help you reconstruct an appropriate statement and re-send.. I would hate to see your lib buddy ridicule your grammar... Just looking out for ya.. That adnilm has been on a grammar mission, lately.. WHEW... Better watch out..

You are one to talk...and you KNOW what I am saying....Stop deflecting and amswer..why do YOu think YOU should get to say what one should make and not the other?

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 2:18 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Well, I've never heard of CEO forcibly removing their paycheck from a member's, whether they wanted it done or not...I can't, for the life of me, figure out how that's not theft.

"You will pay me to speak for you."

"no, thanks, I'll speak for myself."

"Well, then I will take your money anyway. I will use it to buy a fancy car and fund politicians you don't agree with. You cannot stop me."

And this is what people are saying is GOOD. I see this playing out like a scene from the Godfather.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 2:20 PM on Mar. 3, 2011