Should there be a law against anti-semetics?

People have a right to their opinion and the right to speak, but I think when people start attacking other people, they should be penalized because that to me is beyond Freedom of Speech it's violating the Freedom of Speech and promoting violence.

What are your thoughts?

Imogine

Asked by Imogine at 2:09 PM on Mar. 3, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• as long as there is not threats involved....free is free...

Even for Westboro to spew their hate..

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 2:13 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Then I should have the freedom to throw a stone at their ass for disrespecting a funeral.
    Imogine

Comment by Imogine (original poster) at 2:14 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• If they are threatening others than I agree with you. If they are spewing hatred and ignorance it falls under free speech
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 2:14 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

•  

Then I should have the freedom to throw a stone at their ass for disrespecting a funeral.

No, that would be addault! but I'd bail you out

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 2:14 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• *assault

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 2:15 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• If they are spewing hatred and ignorance it falls under free speech
    =====

Its under frustrating is what it's under.
    Imogine

Comment by Imogine (original poster) at 2:16 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• People can hate whoever they want, as well as talk about hating them.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 2:20 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Just anti-semites? Weird.

But, no. There already are laws against threatening people or attacking people. It's not truly possible to enforce people's beliefs and feelings, even if France is trying.
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 2:36 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• There are laws for those who act on their hate, but people can think or say what they want to some extent. Most countries do not include 'hate speech' or speech that harms or violates the rights of others as free speech though, but what is or is not a limitation to free speech seems to be subjective and varies.

As far as groups like WBC group go, they may have the right to assemble and be as hateful and exclusive as they want to be, but everyone else also has the right to also assembly peacefully and distract from their message of hate. People in the community can block the families at these funerals from having to see these horrible people, and share a silent message of love and unity. That has been the most effective method of dealing with them IMO.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 2:39 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Against just being anti-semetic? Why not being racist or bigoted against any group?

No, I'm not a fan of the thought police. Outlaw and punish actions that harm others, not thoughts or opinions.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 3:27 PM on Mar. 3, 2011