I had a belly button ring and took it about about 2 months ago and now it seems to be red and infected. Should I be concerned for the baby or just put neosporin on it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:29 AM on Nov. 21, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Try squeezing all the puss out of there and putting peroxide on it...then put alcohol on it then put the pain relief neosporin on it. You can also use witch hazel. But if you dont want your belly button smelling like bacon then I wouldnt use the witch hazel. It shouldnt hurt the baby since it is a outside wound. And I know it sounds gross to squeeze that stuff out but it gets the infection out. Oh and if you have a seringe thingy put some water in it and put in on the opening of the whole and squirt that water through there and do the same with perioxide. It flushes the infection out. GL!
    Marah2008

Answer by Marah2008 at 7:41 AM on Nov. 21, 2008

• I had the same thing happen to me. It can't heal up (it takes forever to do so even when you're not pregnant) because it is continually being stretched. The scarred over tissue inside the piercing hole is tearing. Take care of it the way you were instructed to when you had it pierced in the first place. That's really all you can do, sorry!

BTW, putting peroxide on it is the absolutely LAST thing you want to do! It'll dry out the hole and make it itchy, not to mention the fact that if it burns inside, it's really hard to get it all out.
    cskomk0106

Answer by cskomk0106 at 9:05 AM on Nov. 21, 2008

• Its not going to affect your child. Just put some ointment on it and see if it will heal up on its own. If you feel that its NOT getting better, then ask the doc to look at it to make sure its not a spreading infection. THe baby is fine. It should heal up fairly quickly.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:53 AM on Nov. 21, 2008

• with my 1st i took mine out when i was about 3 mths and never had any problems but it did grow up and i had to have it re done with my 2nd i left mine in until i had about 6 wks to go and it got red and my dr. said don't do anything besides soap the alchol and peroxide will irritate it worse, i took his advice and it healed and i put my ring back in about a week after my baby was born
    FallonBlackmnon

Answer by FallonBlackmnon at 3:15 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• I used perioxide and it healed up very nicely. It does dry it out but you have to put neosporin on it to work...
    Marah2008

Answer by Marah2008 at 11:15 PM on Nov. 21, 2008