Mirena

I need some advice. I just had my 3rd child, and my husband and Ihave decided we will try Mirena as our birth control. My insurance paid for it, it has been ordered, and delivered to my dr's office. I have been doing more and more research on it, and now I AM SO AFRAID to have it inserted. I had all 3 kids vaginally (and my last 2 were twins). I can't find anyone with a good story about this one! HELP!

LBD3910

Asked by LBD3910 at 2:33 PM on Mar. 3, 2011 in Health

• Why are you afraid to have it inserted?
    catharsis

Answer by catharsis at 2:51 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• People who are happy with birth control almost never tell people about it, on line or off.

Of the people I know, I'd say they are about half annoyed by the Mirena, and half think it is the greatest invention on Earth. I'm in the middle somewhere. I had mild cramping for a while and occasional spotting instead of regular periods.

Keep in mind that many of the "side effects" of the Mirena may well be unrelated. Like loss of interest in sex is very common with small kids (which most Mirena users have). And weight gain and hormonal issues- some of those are probably not the Mirena's fault.

Check out another drug- any one- that you've taken. There are horror stories for everytihng!

I would tell your SO about the potential side-effects and look out for them. And take some Advil before you have it put in. I had a little cramping the first days, like period cramps.

Good luck. It's still your choice. It IS very convenient
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 2:58 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• It's no big deal to have it inserted..however, the side effects MOST users experiece ARE a big deal. May I suggest looking into Paragard? It is a hormone-free IUD that lasts 10 years with minimal to no side effects. Good luck"
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 3:08 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• By the way - I had Mirena, so I know firsthand..and although every medicine, birth control, etc affects each individual differently - there are WAY MORE horror stories with Mirena than Paragard. And I have Paragard now..no side effects for me and I feel AMAZING! It's a huge change from when I was on Mirena..that was AWFUL.
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 3:11 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I had it for 3 years and loved it until the 3rd year I start having bad cramps and pains like labor pains and my doctor recommended to take it out. Everyone is different, I have a friend that has it and she loves it and has had no problems with it. My only other problem was the string/wire that hangs down always bothered my husband during intercourse.
    tgeary

Answer by tgeary at 11:09 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• i have it i LOVE it i am so nto good at taking pills daily and i tried depo hated it and had lots of side effects from it i haven had anythign form my miraena
    jajamama

Answer by jajamama at 8:11 AM on Mar. 4, 2011