Tenure should be abolished!!!

I am watching, "Waiting on Superman" and I am completely appauled by the fact that public teachers who, "pretty much continue to breathe after two years" can get tenure. Whatever happened to working for your position??? I have to do it, why are teachers so privileged? Do they have a difficult job? Yes, but so do I. Doctors have a difficult job but can they lose thier jobs, yes. This has got to change. Maybe if we start holding our teachers to a higher standard kids will start holding themselves to a higher standard as well. I am all for the teachers union, but as we all know our education system is FAILING our children and if teachers are made to actually try to keep their position maybe we could do better by our students and actually see more kids moving towards college, instead of McDonald's. Although, I am all for tenure, if the teacher EARNS it by having higher than normal success rates or some kind of honorable mention. I do believe tenure was needed at a point in the past, but it was also very hard to get. Those reasons are now dealt with by the laws, if someone is discriminated against there are laws for that. Everyone wants to hold teachers up on some pedestal but really what we are looking at is a failing system because the teachers that are failing our students aren't being fired. If you are a great teacher, I don't see why you would have a problem with tenure being EARNED, you would have it. Anyone else have something to say about this or additional information please comment!!! We ranked last in math... come on!

MJblessed

Asked by MJblessed at 2:36 PM on Mar. 3, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Do you know why tenure was started in the first place?
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 2:37 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• This original purpose is worth preserving. Without the freedom to intellectually explore new concepts, theories, principles, and practices, the advancement of knowledge will be stifled. The original purpose of tenure--to protect intellectual creativity--is essential to American higher education and to society in general. The issue then is how to return tenure to its singular original purpose from what it has become in some cases, a sinecure for the lazy and incompetent.

MJblessed

Comment by MJblessed (original poster) at 2:43 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Tenure was created to ensure only that employment could not be severed for a single impermissible reason-to punish a faculty member for his or her exercise of independent research or relevant classroom speech, no matter how controversial. It protected the exercise of academic freedom. Tenure ensured that some form of institutional due process, using a peer-review system, was available for adjudicating threatened job terminations, to guarantee such punishments were not applied to faculty members exercising their legitimate academic freedom.

So, no I do not thing tenure should be abolished. There are far more GOOD teachers and professors than bad.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 2:44 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• http://www.rubberroommovie.com/

lemme know how pissed you are after watching this

jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 2:45 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I have been saying for years that tenure should be abolished. Plain and simple, it promotes complacency. We had a teacher in our district that was a monster; there were petitions and movements over many years to get her fired but she was protected because of tenure. For as many "good" teachers that they are, there are just as many "bad" ones ... just like any profession. And just like any profession, there should be a system in place that gets rid of the ineffective ones.
    Anonymous

• I don't believe teachers are failing their students at all. I think its quite the opposite. Schools are overcrowded and a lot of administrators in the schools are pushing for teachers of the advanced placement classes to take people that SHOULDN'T be in advanced placement. It happened to me in high school. I was encouraged to take an AP Calc class-when I had barely passed Algebra 2. The idea is the more kids in AP, the better the school looks. A challenge is always good-but that wouldn't have been challenging me, it would have been doing me a great disservice. Thankfully, once the class started, the teacher contacted my parents and explained to them that I shouldn't be in that class. I think its impossible for a teacher to keep up this golden standard with the number of kids they have in classrooms! Not to mention the way those kids behave.
    metalhealthmom

Answer by metalhealthmom at 2:50 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• My son has a teacher now who goes on and on about tenure. We are having major issues with her and the school. If she would focus as much energy on teaching as she does announcing she has tenure her students might just learn something.
    Anonymous

• Ugh. Just because something had a good reason behind it doesn't mean the "unintended consequences" are worth the cost.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 2:54 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Bleh, stupid, slanted and corporate movie. It's a shame dingy Oprah and Bill Gates jumped behind it before they really knew how flawed it was. Starting with the Finnish school system that was put up as a shining example, which is by the way...unionized and offers tenure. Oversimplified pablum

The only good thing that came from this film is dialogue. 

The films fails to discuss Bill Gates support and turnaround in his view of teacher unions.  He sponsors a program called Teacher Turnaround that works with both districts and unions for changen public schools

In Tennessee, a teacher union if trying to get highly qualified teachers into low income areas. 

There are no easy or shortcut answers and charter schools may be one avenue on a map full of streets

adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 3:30 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• As a teacher, I support getting rid of tenure (and forced union memberships) and replacing it with merit pay!!! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:48 PM on Mar. 3, 2011