I am sad about this little boy whos mom passed away. Do you need a cry today?

There is a boy at my dd's school and his mother passed away about 2 years ago. He is about 9 yrs old. I had lunch with my dd yesterday at school and I saw him. I asked my dd if she knew him. I did not tell her about the boy's mother. I do not want my dd to claim him as "that kid who's mom is dead."

I just began to get sad because if I put myself in his shoes, he sees his peers enjoying lunch with their moms and now it is never going to happen for him. It is one of those things that are simple and joyful and as a mom I love to do and for the little boy, it's gone, totally gone.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:51 PM on Mar. 3, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I think the kids all know by now that his mom died. Next time, maybe ask if he wants to join you and your daughter?
    Anonymous

• This could have been an amazing opportunity for you to teach your daughter empathy. Next time, ask him to join you!! You may just make his day. And your daughter probably already knows that his mom passed away. Kids talk at school.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:21 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• That is pretty sad hopefully the child has a loving dad and other family members there to fill the void.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 2:53 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• My dad passed away when I was 7. I never begrudged other kids having their dad's around or was jealous that they had a dad and I didn't have mine anymore. But I have a very soft spot in my heart for kids who lose their parents that early in life.

Answer by missanc at 2:56 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I cant even began to imagine what that child is going through, but I am sure he has a very loving and supportive family behind him and next time you should invite him to eat with you guys.
    ExtremlyUnique

Answer by ExtremlyUnique at 2:58 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I can tell you this...I lost my Dad at a very young age and I never realized that people felt sorry for me until I was an adult and looked back on it. I also didn't realize how awful it was until I was an adult. Actually until I became a parent myself and thought about my daughter losing her Daddy at the same age as I did. I think losing your Mom would be harder than your Dad, but kid's are a lot tougher than adults are in every way shape and form. It amazing me the things that kids go through that if we had to as adults we would struggle. It is sad though and if he had nobody at all with him, I would have my daugher ask him to sit with us.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 7:51 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Oh, this is sad.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 1:12 PM on Mar. 6, 2011

• That is sad.. :( My son had a classmate lose his father to cancer a few years ago and it made me want to cry and just hug that little boy every time I saw him.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 12:57 PM on Mar. 7, 2011

• I do not need to cry today.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 8:08 PM on Mar. 7, 2011