How is your area? Layoffs At Pre-Recession Level; Job Openings Down 30%

"While the economy has grown modestly in recent quarters, hiring remains depressed due to uncertainty about future demand, concerns about government policies and efficiency gains that have let companies do more with less."

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 3:11 PM on Mar. 3, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• from your link..less to do with policies and more to do with changing workplace

The job market is doing better, but it's not getting better fast enough to soak up those who are unemployed and particularly those who have been unemployed for a long time," said Jeff Joerres, CEO of Manpower.

Average time out of work has hit a record 36.9 weeks from 16.6 weeks at the recession's start.

Many lost factory and construction jobs will never return, leaving those workers ill-equipped for jobs in faster-growing industries such as health care, information technology and software

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 3:14 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I recently attended a recruitment fair where they are hiring 500 people. Sounds good but they are all CPS/Foster care jobs because Michigan got sued last year for having such a crappy, overwhelmed system.

BTW...I just read an article that said new jobless claims were at a 3 year low AND ADP just announced that new hires were much higher than anyone expected.

I think things are creeping back to normal. It's just like losing weight after you have a baby. You didn't put it on overnight and it won't go away overnight either.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:18 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I think things are creeping back to normal. It's just like losing weight after you have a baby. You didn't put it on overnight and it won't go away overnight either.

yup

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 3:20 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• My area has a long, long way to go before we improve anything. This city runs on tourism, and until the rest of the country improves, there's no money coming in here to spend, so everything sucks. The worst part is that our state and local government has no interest in finding other ways to fund anything.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 3:23 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I live outside of Los Angeles and unless you want to commute there are few jobs and many applicants.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 3:28 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Thanks Julie for actually answering the question... ;o)

To answer the question, My current area is doing ok...  The area where I used to live~ is NOT seeing growth.. As of Jan 2011 Ohio jobs decreased by 26% since July 2009. 

grlygrlz2

Comment by grlygrlz2 (original poster) at 3:30 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

I have a friend who was recently stationed to LAAFB.... She said she wasn't expecting LA to be so depressed....

grlygrlz2

Comment by grlygrlz2 (original poster) at 3:32 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I answered the question.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:33 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• You did... Didn't catch it on my phone.. Sorry....But I don't see how hiring 500 more government workers helps the economy of Michigan... Private Sector revenue and business generation is what is needed to get, "back to normal"....  How is the small business/corporate job growth in MI?

grlygrlz2

Comment by grlygrlz2 (original poster) at 3:42 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Where I live there is usually 800-825 job opening and they all mostly deal with the oil industry.
    cdnmom24

Answer by cdnmom24 at 3:42 PM on Mar. 3, 2011