Pros and Cons of getting our son circumcised???

Dh is not circumcised so that could be a pro not to do it....he wouldnt look like daddy....anything else you can think of?

Lucky209

Asked by Lucky209 at 3:18 PM on Mar. 3, 2011 in General Parenting

• I did not circumcise my son.. I dont beleive in it. If My son chooses to have that done later in life than thats fine but i will not put him through that withou concent. Idk if you have seen how this is doen but it is very upseting... also the reason that insurance wont cover it is because it is a cosmetic surgery... there is nothing wrong with the extra skin
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 3:24 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• My son is five and he had no complications due to his circumcision. It's just a personal choice that you and your husband need to make together.

bhoward87

Answer by bhoward87 at 3:40 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• My husband is circ'd so we did the same to our son, the doctor also told us it was healthier to do so. I knew a guy in highschool that wasn't circ'd and he always had health issues like infections down there.. and got made fun of, I must say, I've seen only one non circ'd penis and I would never want to see another one. BUT THIS IS ONLY my OPINION!
    prettyinink2011

Answer by prettyinink2011 at 3:21 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• It's not medically necessary, it hurts to have it done, the dr. could mess it up, it could lead to complications/death.......
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 3:19 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Oh and whoever said insurance doesn't cover it is WRONG! Ours covered 100%!
    prettyinink2011

Answer by prettyinink2011 at 3:27 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Insurance did not cover my sons it was $200 Out of Pocket. Insurance coverage varies...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:29 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• God put that foreskin there for a purpose, do some research and find out how unnecessary it is. After working in maternity wards in various hospitals, if you could only see how they do this, you would say no in a heart beat, totally unnecessary, so much so that insurance companies stopped covering the procedure all together.

Answer by older at 3:35 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I don't see any pros. Do a little digging around and you will find that it's not really necessary. I see no reason to remove healthy tissue from a healthy baby. Do you?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:57 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• The pro's and con's vary from person to person. You will get A LOT of mixed feeling about this subject. We chose to circumcise our son because 1) his father is circumcised. 2) We felt Biblicaly it was the right choice for us. 3) we were comfortable with the way the procedure was going to be preformed(topical anesthetic before applying the plastic ring method) I don't feel like there is a right or wrong way to go on this but it is a big decision and it's good you are researching your options. I will say my son's circumcision was done by my ob in the room with me and he never even flinched. Others may have had different experiences.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:25 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• also...the whole "do what was done to daddy" logic, completely escapes me.
    If mommy has a breast removed, should we do that to little Sally?
    I think it's child abuse to put makeup on a little girl and stick her in a beauty pageant...so you'd better believe I think it's sick to cut a child's body to "match" their father.

The risk involved in circing is FAR GREATER than any real risk having the organ they were born with can bring.
    Do some reading folks...there is a reason for the HUGE movement against circing...
    boomamma

Answer by boomamma at 3:28 PM on Mar. 3, 2011