How much to charge a babysitter to watch three kids. And my 12 year old son will be there to help with the twins.

I have two 3 year old twins and a 4 month old baby. My son is 12 and will be able to help with the twins. The babysitter is 13. I need the babysitter because my son is clueless with babies. (there will be an adult there as well but will let the 13 year old take care of the kids so she can earn the money.)

AmyLynn5398

Asked by AmyLynn5398 at 3:19 PM on Mar. 3, 2011 in Money & Work

• $7 an hour
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 3:21 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I agree with $7 an hour. That is about $21/day per kid. Here childcare is $25-$35 a day per kid.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 3:23 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• For a 13 year old, I would pay $25 for up to 4 hours.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 3:33 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I say 6 an hour total. This is a 13 year old. Not a child care facility.
    Anonymous

• Even with my own son there helping?
    AmyLynn5398

Comment by AmyLynn5398 (original poster) at 3:45 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• 13 years old I would do the $7 dollars an hour
    ExtremlyUnique

Answer by ExtremlyUnique at 3:45 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I am a child care professional who also does hourly care. I am on the cheap side, I charge either $30 per day or $6 per hour, per child. When I hire someone, I am usually charged $15 per hour, but that is from a highly educated adult who does sitting on the side.

I have to be honest with you, I would not leave my children with a 13 year old for any amount of time.
    SnapdragonSMT

Answer by SnapdragonSMT at 5:53 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Wow, I just wanted to say how much babysitting prices must have changed in the last 20 years. When I was 13, I was making 2-3 dollars an hour. As I got older, and more well known in our community I started getting paid 4 dollars an hour, because I was one of the best. I think the most I got paid was $50 one night because it was new years. I didn't offer that, it's just what they decided to pay me. I was okay with $2, happy with $3, and very happy with $4.
    ladymomtraveler

Answer by ladymomtraveler at 11:56 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Okay..I thought of something else to add. I started baby sitting early (I was 7). I was watching a toddler, so that the mom ( who was at home, and just needed me to keep her occupied) could get the housework done. At that time I earned like 75 cents an hour...but I think if it had been like that and I'd been 13, I would have earned no more than $1.25. So, that's62.5% of what the going rate would be. If you do that for an area where $7 an hour is the norm, you end up with $4.38 per hour...which I think sounds pretty reasonable for someone who is getting the amount of help that the girl you're having baby sit is getting.

Now, if it were an experienced babysitter, I have to admit that I've paid between $60-100 a night for baby sitters, depending on the night, the amount of hours, and whether or not they did anything extra (eg some house cleaning, or taking care of our dog too).

Good luck. I'd try for around $4.35.
    ladymomtraveler

Answer by ladymomtraveler at 12:03 AM on Mar. 4, 2011