refreezing chicken

I took some chicken breast out of the the freezer and put in the refrigerator to cook last night but dh wanted pizza instead. The date says 'use or freeze by November 20'. Should I throw it away or do you think it will be ok in the refrigerator until tomorrow?

mykidsmommy

Asked by mykidsmommy at 7:48 AM on Nov. 21, 2008 in Food & Drink

• It should be fine for an additional day or two if it was defrosted in the refrigerator and not on the counter, but I wouldn't let it go any longer than that.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 8:37 AM on Nov. 21, 2008

• Thanks, mom2aspclboy!
    mykidsmommy

Answer by mykidsmommy at 8:37 AM on Nov. 21, 2008

• It will be okay to use. Sometimes, when that happens to me, I go ahead and boil the chicken. After it is cooked, if you still don't need it, you can refreeze it.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:03 AM on Nov. 21, 2008

• The key is that you kept it cold the entire time. If you let it sit out on the cupboard to thaw, then I would toss it...but if you kept it in the fridge, it will be fine.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 3:11 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• Oh, I forgot to mention that you can refreeze the chicken as long as it was thawed in the fridge...but remember that ice crystals reform in bigger pieces, so they can do a bit of damage on a cellular level which will result in a drier chicken breast once it's thawed again because much of the natural water content will be lost. You can give it a quick brine to improve flavor and texture if you go that route.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 3:13 PM on Nov. 21, 2008