ok, my 16 month old wants to be around me ALL THE TIME, like i cant even go to the bathroom without him banging on the door screaming, i give him plenty of attetion, and play with him all the time. Could this be some kind of seperation anxiety??

singlemommy863

Asked by singlemommy863 at 8:10 AM on Nov. 21, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It can be. My grandson went through that and I remember my daughter telling me the same thing youre saying here. He will grow out of it eventually.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:11 AM on Nov. 21, 2008

• IT PROBABLY IS BUT INSTEAD OF BEING ANNOYED BY IT, CHERISH IT BECAUSE SOON ENOUGH HE WON'T WANT ANYTHING TO DO WITH YOU. MY FIRST DAUGHTER IWAS LIKE THAT, AND ALTHOUGH IT CAN SOMETIMES BE ANNOYING IT CREATED A BOND WITH MINE THAT AFTER 31 YEARS SHE IS STILL SOMEWHAT TIED TO MY UMBILICAL CORD, AND OUR BOND IS AWESOME!

Answer by older at 8:30 AM on Nov. 21, 2008

• both of my kids do this. it is normal they want to be with you and also they want to see what mommy is doing. like older said...dont let it bother you instead embrace it. mine are now 1 and 4 ...and with my 4 yr old i am already missing the days she wanted to cuddle and jsut spend time with mommy. now she is more independent. and i get "mommy im trying to play" or "mommy i can do it" this phase of wanting to be right by your side doesnt last but a few years. enjoy it and buld some memories.
    sweetestkitten

Answer by sweetestkitten at 9:21 AM on Nov. 21, 2008

• My son is 22 months old and has been doing it since he was 12 months and I thought by now he would have grown out of it but he hasn't yet. ANd it is very frustrating at times. I just had to teach him how to be more independent. Try getting your parents to watch him or a friend for just a few minutes at a time and then gradually increase the time you are away. Eventually he will learn that mommy always comes back and that gives him the security to know that you are not leaving him. It eventually stopped around 20 months and now he is mr. Independent.
    neverwrong8682

Answer by neverwrong8682 at 10:53 AM on Nov. 21, 2008

• Funny! I thought I was alone on this. My favorite is the banging on the door while I'm in the bathroom. He's 21 months and is now grown out of it but still likes his mommy right next to him at times. It's just a phase, probably separation anxiety...he's just afraid mommy won't return when she leaves. It's frustrating but he'll grow out of it and be his own little man...kinda sad but somedays I miss being so needed :)
    Christi12

Answer by Christi12 at 11:20 AM on Nov. 21, 2008

• Probably. But as the other posters said, this will pass and one day you will look back on how much he wanted to be with you and sigh and he closes himself off in his bedroom again.

For the bathroom, take this chance to explain that mommy doesn't wear diapers so mommy has to go peepee and poop in the potty. Let him peek in the potty and see the results. Let him flush the potty. These are simple "pre-potty-training" steps.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:00 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• My son is that way too but I just have to shut the door when I go to the bathroom or take a shower, yes, he bangs on it the whole time and crys but I HAVE to shower and he can't be in there and when I am around the house and he's tugging at my legs and pants, I take his hand off and sit him down and say "mommy needs to do this really quick" and I walk away - he crys or whines but he will get it eventually that I can't spend my whole day holding him - he just turned 1 2 weeks ago.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:29 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• i give him plenty of attetion, and play with him all the time.

And this is why he can't spend a minute by himself now.  Believe it or not, kids do need time on their own to explore, play, experiment and just plain 'ole chill out.  I am a SAHM and I don't spend the whole day in my 2 1/2yr old's face.  I let her be...she plays with her toys and watches a little tv and plays with the dog and I go about my business of cleaning and so forth.  Start setting a routine so that he has time to himself to do whatever...show him the world doesn't stop spinning if Mommy isn't entertaining him all the time. 

mizkaye

Answer by mizkaye at 1:40 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• I wouldn't worry, I think all kids act like this to some extent. And it is temporary as some have said. I think more importatly is the way you deal with it. If you really want to go to the bathroom alone then by all mean go alone. He'll get used to you going to the bathroom. Just tell him you will be back in a minute and when you get out make sure you point out to him that you did come back you were only gone for a minute.
    My daughter used to cry every time I left the room. That was along time ago and she was young but I'm sure glad that phase is over!
    outofmymind26

Answer by outofmymind26 at 3:10 PM on Nov. 21, 2008