Who hAs the rights about religion????

Me and my daughter father are fighting about religion and want to know who's choice is the religion end. Mine or his if we don't agree. I am catholic and he is a johvass wittness.

babygirlkhloe

Asked by babygirlkhloe at 3:51 PM on Mar. 3, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I made sure I agreed with anyone I was dating about religion before we got serious. But if we hadn't, take her to both - alternate weeks, and let her make the decision.

Answer by missanc at 3:53 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• You won't know until you die. Perhaps teh better decision is to expose your child to both and let her decide for herself.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 3:53 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• wait til your daughter can decide. it's her life.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 3:53 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• She needs to make her own choice, sorry. Neither of you gets to be "right" here.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:55 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I agree that she should make her own choice and to let her attend both churches.
    idaspida

Answer by idaspida at 4:02 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Way back when- traditionally the women's church was the church of choice for the family-but times have changed and its up to you to decide-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 4:04 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Neither of you have the "rights" as to which religion she practices. That is ridiculous to think. Whoever she is with more, she will attend that church more, and will attend the other with the other parent. This will become confusing for her...and you need to make sure you both answer her questions openly and honestly, not bashing the other.
    KennsWifey

Answer by KennsWifey at 4:05 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Expose her to both . . . it will be a wonderful present for her to view spiritiuality from two different views.

I was raised by a Catholic Mom and Jewish dad, and I can't tell you how grateful I am to have an experience learning about and practicing both.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 4:07 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• If you were married in the Catholic church, he would have to promise to raise any children Catholic. If you are sole support and custody, it's your decision. If it's a joint venture and he is very active in the child's life it would be decent of you to work with him.

Catholicism, requires a very real commitment and if you aren't serious about pursuing it as a religion, don't make a huge deal out of where she goes to Church

adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 4:11 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Are you two together? If so, is this something you can compromise on as a couple? I don't think either parent has more 'rights' when it comes to how to raise the kids. In the best case scenario, you respect each others' differences and work out a compromise of some sort. If you're separated, you may both have to do your own thing and try to be respectful of each other's differences. Good luck!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 4:15 PM on Mar. 3, 2011