What is going on? My puppy was acting housebroke!

LOL I guess it was too good to be true. My new puppy was only going potty on the puppy pads, and outside, actually waiting by the door! Now she's just peeing on the floor whenever the mood strikes her, even when I take her out!

Musicmom80

Asked by Musicmom80 at 4:06 PM on Mar. 3, 2011 in Pets

• Puppies are not known to be fully potty trained until at least 1 year of age.

I always crated mine until a year and then the accidents were minimal. They resemble toddlers. You think that they've got it and then you step in a puddle.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 4:10 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Little stinker. I've had a lot of puppies. I was shocked to see her not potty in the wrong places. I knew it was too good to be true.
    Musicmom80

Comment by Musicmom80 (original poster) at 4:12 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I have always had lucky potty training puppies, but accidents can happen. Anything that upsets a normal routine or your household, even small things, can also cause puppies to backslide in their training. I used a crate and then if there was something that changed our schedule, or anything, I would keep her food, potty, play times like normal-but I would crate her if I could not keep an eye on her. Good luck with your puppy.
    Tawneekitn

Answer by Tawneekitn at 6:36 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I didn't think we would EVER get my golden retriever house trained. I want to say she was about a year and half before we finally got her where she needed to be. The next dog was about 4 months old and he literally house trained in two days! He was the easiest dog I had ever trained in my life. He was soooo quick to learn! (I miss him so much). Now we have a three month old German Shepherd and she almost doesn't even try. She has been going pee on the pee pads but poops wherever she wants. Luckily now that the weather is getting nice she spends most of the day outside and comes in at night. I know it's a pain (I am sure you know this ) but she will get there just have patience.

kc932

Answer by kc932 at 9:17 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• It usually takes some time for potty training and crates are a big help when your not around.
    Nitestalker

Answer by Nitestalker at 12:13 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• kc932,

You dumped your three month old puppy outside because she won't houstrain?

Oh good lord, please find that poor puppy a home with owners that possess a brain cell or two.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 10:06 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Acid you are so rude! I wish I could block you from my questions as well. You really know how to turn nothing into something huge. Wow...
    Musicmom80

Comment by Musicmom80 (original poster) at 10:12 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Dumping your dog outside because you are too lazy to continue housetraining is not nothing.

I'm not rude, I have a very low tolerance for people who shouldn't have pets.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 10:26 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• No, you are judgemental. Thank God you don't get to decide who gets to have pets, or we'd have more homeless then we do now...
    Musicmom80

Comment by Musicmom80 (original poster) at 10:28 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• No, we'd have people who were responsible, properly educated, people use use their brains and not their children's begging and pleading when purchasing a puppy.

We'd have less people that buy from pet stores, therefore puppy mills would be no more. Shelters would be non existent because they'd not be needed. They wouldn't be needed because I wouldn't let people who are going to dump their dogs outside buy a dog, I wouldn't let anyone who hadn't done some research into the specific breed they wanted buy a dog....there would be no breeding just to see what you'd get if you threw any old dog together. See, problems solved. Pull your head out of your ass and open up your eyes.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 11:08 PM on Mar. 4, 2011