Sweet Potatoes

This is my first Thanksgiving I will be doing the cooking and I am very picky and do not like sweet potatoes. I want to make them for everyone else but have no idea how to make them. I don't want to buy them in a can, so I'm looking to see how everyone else makes them. Also is there a difference between sweet potatoes and yams?

Sammieanne

Asked by Sammieanne at 8:37 AM on Nov. 21, 2008 in Food & Drink

• I think there may be some difference between sweet potatoes and yams, but they are basically the same. My favorite way to fix them is to boil them with their skins on until they are tender. Cool and peel. Mash up enough to make 3 cups. Mix with 1 cup sugar, 1/2 c. butter(at room temp.), 1/2 tsp. salt, 2 eggs well beaten, 1/3 c. coconut(opt),1 tsp. vanilla, and enough milk to make them the consistency of mashed potatoes(not more than 1/2 c.). Put in buttered baking dish. Topping:1/3 C. butter(room temp.) 1/2 c. Rice Krispies, 1. c, chopped nuts(I use pecans), and 1 c. brown sugar. Mix together with a fork 'til crumbly. Sprinkle on top of sweet potatoes. Bake at 350 for 30-35 min. Do not overbake.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:57 AM on Nov. 21, 2008

• I forgot to say that you can prepare this dish a day or two before, refrigerate and bake on Thanksgiving morning. Just be careful to either let your bowl and over heat up together or let your dish come to room temp. before putting it in a hot oven. Most glass is tempered these days, but I never want to risk cracking my baking dish.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:59 AM on Nov. 21, 2008

• I just wrap them in foil and throw them in with the turkey during the last hour or two, then take them out, unwrap them and serve. I put out butter and brown sugar for each individual to dress their own.i usually have way too many side dishes and desserts to make to fuss over the sweet potatoes.
    Aprilmorgans

Answer by Aprilmorgans at 9:30 AM on Nov. 21, 2008

• I've had them fresh and canned, and honestly there's not much if any difference. imo it's not worth the trouble and I buy canned yams. then I doctor them up with a little OJ, brown sugar, cinnamon. sometimes raisins and walnuts too, then top with marshmallows and bake. some people like to cream them first, but I like the chunks.
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 9:41 AM on Nov. 21, 2008

• Well, there IS a difference between sweet potatoes and *true* yams, but the yams you buy in the can here are actually sweet potatoes. The company calls them yams to differentiate that particular species of sweet potatoes. True yams look nothing like sweet potatoes...they're not the same color, they're much larger and and more thickly skinned.

I don't serve them at all, no matter what you call them, but my mom roasts them with butter and a little brown sugar and apple pie spice.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 3:09 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• I did fresh two years ago then canned last year, theyre both good.. I just semi-mash them in a bowl so they're still a little chunky with cinnamon and brown sugar.. put it in a baking dish with little pads of butter on top, then the marshmallows on top.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 4:53 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• You'll probably never see a real yam. They're somewhat exotic and not usually found in the US. This is a good thing, because they're not as good for you as sweet potatoes. If you want to avoid the canned variety, try a gratin.

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1850,147168-244199,00.html

You can replace the cheese with mini marshmallows if you prefer...some in the middle, extra on top in the last 15 minutes of baking.
    goofygoober168

Answer by goofygoober168 at 9:13 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• alot of good ideas! go to allrecipes.com...they have some good ideas for all your thanksgiving dishes.
    Me personally what I do for sweet potatoes is...peel and slice 1 sweet potato per person..spread out onto casserole dish, 2 qaurt size is ideal...
    Dump a 15 oz., or so can of pineapple chunks, juice and all! then sprinkle 1/2 cup brown sugar..then spread mini marshmellows enough to cover then put in oven at 375 for 45 minutes
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 1:01 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• We do the kind of sweet potatoes with the marshmallows on top. I got the recipe off the marshmallows but modified since I don't use canned sweet potatoes. I buy fresh, peel them (even though every recipe I read said to cook them in the skins then pull them off) and boil them until they are mushy (like mashed potatoes). Then I add cinnamon, nutmeg, butter and brown sugar (I think ours has brown sugar). Put it in the dish, top with marshmallows and bake. I make it the day before and then just warm it up for dinner on Thursday.
    And I don't even like sweet potatoes. I make it especially for my 6yo daughter who loves them.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:28 PM on Nov. 22, 2008