How do I make cereal?

My baby is almost ready to start solids. Actually, I think she is ready, but I'm still nervous. I want to make all of her baby food, including the cereal. What kind of cereal do I use and how do I go about making it? Also, I'm nursing. I know with the boxed stuff, you just add breast milk. Do I need to do that with the cereal if I make it on my own? Thanks.

krissyvelazquez

Asked by krissyvelazquez at 4:24 PM on Mar. 3, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Keep in mind that solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know little about).Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many now recommend skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breastmilk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts.
    Two great books /websites on feeding babies, with differing philosophies, Baby Led Weaning www.babyledweaning.com and Super Baby Food www.superbabyfood.com You should be able to find them at your local library

Answer by rkoloms at 4:31 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• You don't need to use cereal. You can use regular oatmeal if you want, and grind it up and cook it. Or you can start with a fruit or veggie if you want.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:09 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Don't bother with cereal. No need.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:27 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I used the boxed stuff and added water with my twins. I didn't have time to pump on top of nursing. You could take table food and puree it. Like PP said, you don't need to start with cereal. Which food to start with 1st is actually a cultural thing.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 5:48 PM on Mar. 3, 2011