Do your children's natural talents resemble your own?

My LP and I were both strong athletes, and have also done well academically. Neither of us have any talent when it comes to art or music...fortunately we are friends with a published classical composer and we have family members who are musically inclined as well.

As of right now, our children show no interest in music, are mildly interested in art, but are primarily interested in athletics and academics.

I am questioning whether we should push them to explore their potential in areas that do not interest them for the sake of being "well rounded", or if you all think we should just let them go with activities in which they show an interest and/or aptitude?

Mom-2-3-Girlz

Asked by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 4:30 PM on Mar. 3, 2011 in General Parenting

• I always did well in academics, music and theater. Right now my DS is only 5, but he's tested cognitively ahead of his peers since he entered preschool. He's also musically inclined, he can already hold a steady tempo on drums, and has a strong interest in the guitar. He also loves his tap dance classes, and performing. He's wanted to be the center of attention since the day he was born, and he's always either singing, acting or dancing to get the rooms attention. We've tried sports, but he takes little interest, and I was never athletic. Me and physical exercise do not match well, thank god for my good metabolism. So yes, to answer your question, his talents do resemble mine.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 4:38 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• And I say encourage what they're interested in. We've tried t-ball, basketball and soccer, all were a fight to go to practices and meltdowns to participate in games. But when I take him to dance class it's bye mom, and he's off without a fuss. Kids don't have to be good at everything, encourage what you see an interest and talent in.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 4:40 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• My 1 year old son is taking after my sister a LOT. Looks like her, acts like her (ex: when he sees something new he studies it a LOT. turns it over, feels it, then he is back to being one and tries to eat it), and he LOVES lemons and raspberries.
    CalebsMommy0220

Answer by CalebsMommy0220 at 12:48 AM on Mar. 4, 2011