Very Very picky 7 year old eater!!! Help

She started being picky at 5 years and wont eat but 4 or 5 food items...she is gaining wait from these foods because she constantly wants to eat all night long.....I dont believe she eats at school because she doesnt like the food. She doesnt eat much in the way of candy but loves certain chocolates and chocolate ice cream...no rice, only mac n cheese, no veggies, only apples and bananas. I need help I am very concerned. Her doctor says just get her to try foods but she wont do it. She is not underweight by any means and they always say she is growing fine but lately she has been gaining and her clothes dont fit!

Motherof54321

Asked by Motherof54321 at 4:33 PM on Mar. 3, 2011 in Kids' Health

• She is gaining weight like overweight or just growing up? I'm assuming its only growing up, doesn't sound like she likes enough to be overweight. So only mac and cheese, apples and bananas? My son is picky he use to be really bad but he is getting better.

We had a rule in our house you had to takea thank you bite of something. Meals were pretty stressful for awhile, depending on the meal we make him somethign different, you need to do what is right for your family.

Have her help plan the meals, have her help cook them too. Have her help with whatever you are making.

She is not eating at school because she doesn't like the food?? then pack her a lunch with what she does like, even if its not much she needs to eat.
    choco_mom

Answer by choco_mom at 4:42 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Thank you that was great. I did have her help cook but sometimes her seeing how its made makes her not want it.. I was making hamburgers one time and she just started to like hamburgers a little bit...well now she wont eat them because she didnt know they were made from hamburger ....OMGoodness she is stressing me out! I try not to make a big deal out of it in front of her. She is very hyper but doesnt get much exercise outside of the house she doesnt have many friends to do things with...I will use some of what you said and see what happens. I am just concerned because she got big in just the last few months. She doesnt fit 7/8 clothes but cant fit in 10/11 at all! Its hard to find clothes and her stomach and bottom are getting rather large....she is made fun of...thanks again your answer was great!
    Motherof54321

Comment by Motherof54321 (original poster) at 4:56 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• She is going to start having serious health issues if you don't put a stop to this. Make it a family health program.
    First, start moving: take a family walk after dinner; and a family bike ride on the weekends
    Stop buying junk foods: anything with simple/white grains, high fructose corn syrup, etc.
    Make water the primary (or sole) beverage
    Cut way back on meat and dairy
    Build meals around vegetables, whole grains, legumes and fruit. If she doesn't want to eat what is served, she can sit at the table with the rest of the family.

I have a ton of recipes that are tasty, simple, healthy, family and budget friendly; send me a message offlist if you would like some.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:22 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Anon - while it is true that kids can only eat what is in the home or offered - it is NOT true that parents are solely at fault for a picky eater's habits. Trust me, my picky eater is 8. We have tried (and by tried I mean consistently tried for long stretches) EVERY tip, trick and tactic in the book to help him out grow this. We do not cook special meals. We do not cater to his demands. He really will go hungry rather than eat. He'll pick at a few pieces of whatever is on his plate for hours. He will gag and choke to the point that he's made himself vomit. He cooks with us - but he won't eat it. He'll plan meals - but he won't eat them. So yeah, I include a yogurt with every meal for him and I put grapes and raw carrots out every meal. He'll eat that, choke down a nibble of chicken and then tell me he's full. My DD - same methods, same parenting - totally different eater. Don't judge until you've been there.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:34 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• OP - try to find a way to increase activity. Is there a sport or activity she'd like to try? Is there a program through your parks dept or town? Put on music and dance like nuts with her in the kitchen while you cook. If she won't eat what they serve at school, pack her a lunch. Make a rule that there will be no special snacks if there's no eating healthy meals. Take what she will eat and make it healthier. Don't use the microwave or boxed mac-and-cheese. Make it yourself. Use whole wheat pasta or something like Dreamfields Pasta with high fiber. Use low-fat cheese. Grate in some veggies that don't have a strong taste. Ditch the white bread and use something with whole grains. Experiment with one new item at a time. Don't buy the ice cream and the treats. If it's not there, she can't eat it. Find alternatives that are healthier - we discovered DS loves FiberOne bars. He eats them for snack at school.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:45 AM on Mar. 4, 2011