A diaper rash my son has

I just joined this site to seek information for my son. We just recently moved and we do not have a pediatrician right now. My son started to breakout about 2 weeks ago, they look like pimples(mostly red some have white heads), located below his belly button but above his private parts. I noticed that it was going away slightly about a week ago. Well today when he woke up it spread to his upper thigh and there are more breakouts! Does anyone have a clue what this could be? I tried to research it but nothing! Any help would be appreciated. BTW My son is 2 and is still in diapers.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:34 PM on Mar. 3, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• diaper rashes spread sometimes. try a zinc oxide diaper rash ointment on the affected diaper area. wash him and let him air dry. keep applying ointment till the rash disappears. in any case, whenever your kid has a rash you should go to the doctor to have it checked out. could be an allergic reaction to food too or fabric softener, or soaps. hows his butt crack? is it red and raw?? food does that. if the rash goes away in a couple of hours, and comes back it could be a heat rash.
    Arretsmomma5

Answer by Arretsmomma5 at 4:40 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• My two year old experienced seomthing similar last year, at about 14 months. I'm not a pediatrician, but it could be a food allergy. Also, my pediatrician said that if you switch diaper brands this can also happen as well. Try to stick to the same brand. He told me to put vasoline on after every diaper change, and it worked like magic. No more rashes :) Good luck.. I would pay attention to what he's eating, and if there is some correlation to a certain food and a breakout....
    momsjoy

Answer by momsjoy at 4:41 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• There is absolutely nothing on his but. His eating habits are not he greatest right now, i think he's going through a growth spur. I'm just worried because I've never dealt with this. He has been using the same diapers for months now.. Same with wipes, so you can tell I'm concerned :/
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:43 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• the best stuff for diaper rash or any rash is Lotriuem, i know its for althlets foot but i have used it on my kids when they were little, you can get the generic kind for like $2, its worth a try.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 5:15 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• It could be a yeast-based rash. An athlete's foot or jock itch cream would help.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 5:38 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Since you don't have access to a pediatrician right now call a pharmacist and explain the pimple's/rash you're seeing. There are literally hundreds of different rash medications and the pharmacist would be able to give you a good starting point of something that would treat what you're seeing. Allergies are tricky, you said you recently moved. He could be reacting to new soap, new carpeting chemicals, new paint, new outside plants. My son is allergic to something that grows outside my mom's house (she lives in the country) that does not grow near us. Every single summer he develops a rash on his feet when he stays there, but never when he's at home. And we have no idea what it is, just some random weed that grows where she lives but not here. There could be a number of things in his new environment that he could be reacting to. Or it could be general diaper rash. I'd start with the pharmacist. Good Luck :)
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 5:41 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• We make up a mixture or Lotrimen (athlete's foot cream), hydrocortisone cream, and triple paste (all in equal amounts) for really nasty diaper rashes - my son's pediatrician told us the recipe and said it's just amazing because it covers all bases (pretty much).
    TarraJoy

Answer by TarraJoy at 4:35 AM on Mar. 4, 2011