Can a person come to a saving knowledge of God without hearing or believing in Jesus Christ?

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 5:04 PM on Mar. 3, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I am not sure on this. I could be very wrong. Muslims. Do they believe in Jesus Christ?
    Anonymous

• Jesus said that He was the only way to the Father. He also said in John 5 that "He who does not honor the Son does not honor the Father who sent Him." And the Bible further says that "as many as received Him[Jesus], to them He gave the right to become children of God, even to those who believe in His name." So I believe, based on these and other Scriptures, that the answer is no.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 5:13 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Muslims believe Christ was a prophet, but not the Son of God. Jews believe Christ was a Rabbi but not the Son of God.

OP... depends on your definition of "saved," I think. Buddhists think that salvation = enlightenment and it has nothing to do with Jesus.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:19 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

Yes they do- to them he was a prophet (I'm pretty sure)
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 5:20 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I believe the question of needing to be "saved" is ridiculous. By only being able to be saved through Jesus would mean that 75% of the world is going to hell. I'm sorry but in the 75% there are plenty of good people that do good things and lead good lives. I cannot accept that they will not be "saved" just because they choose to see their divine in someone who is not Jesus, in a rock or however else they choose see their divine.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 5:20 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• thanks i wasn't sure
    Anonymous

• I don't really think there's anything to be "Saved" from... But I do believe people can come to know God without Jesus being part of the equation. A lot of people do believe at least in the message of love and compassion that Jesus espoused, even if they don't believe in the concept of the atonement or his divinity or the rest of it. The idea of people not hearing of Jesus and his message is something that isn't really applicable to the majority of the world's population. And even the "believing" in him part is tricky, as many people believe something about him (as previously stated), it just might not be the exact same thing the more "Traditionalist" Christians believe about him....

But, anyway, I don't believe one's ability to know or relate to God is contingent upon what they know or believe out Jesus. I also don't believe what they know/believe about him will effect the destination of their soul once this life is over.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 5:36 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• "Muslims. Do they believe in Jesus Christ? "

They believe he was a prophet, believe in the virgin birth, but not that he was divine or "son of God", and they reject the idea of the atonement. I'm pretty sure they believe he is the Messiah, though in a different context....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus_in_Islam
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 5:38 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Saved from what? I don't need to be saved by anyone other than myself. I know the higher being in my own way but do not feel it necessary to have a hero in my belief
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 5:48 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Jesus said,"I am the way, the truth, and the life. No man comes to the father but by me." John 3:16 also says, "For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that whosoever believes in Him shall have eternal life." Through the original sin of Adam, man was condemned from living in the Garden of Eden and sin spread throughout humanity. We are all sinners by human nature--yes, even Christians are natural born sinners. The difference is that Christians have accepted Christ into their hearts as their personal Saviour and are forgiven as we confess our sins to the Father. Christ took on all the sin in the world as the ultimate sacrificial Lamb when he died on the cross. In the Old Testament, sacifices were required as an atonement for sins, and the blood from that sacrifice was spread on the altar. Jesus' blood was shed for all of us as atonement for our sins and we believe in him and live our lives for him.
    natersmom76

Answer by natersmom76 at 6:00 PM on Mar. 3, 2011