Do I need a bin to compost? Or just a "pile"?

I just moved to a new house and I'm going to start composting, including leftover vegetable scraps. So I was cleaning out some old leaves and I wasn't sure if I should just make a pile somewhere out of the way and start adding kitchen scraps to it, or if I need a covered bin. I have a whole lotta critters (raccoons, opposums), so I'm afraid it would just be a free buffet if I don't use a bin.

ColeParkerMason

Asked by ColeParkerMason at 5:04 PM on Mar. 3, 2011 in Home & Garden

• You'll attract animals if you don't use a bin or somehow make in inaccessible, but a bin isn't necessary.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 5:05 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• You can use either a compost bin or a pile ( or set out two piles - one for adding to and one for taking from) or..... around the garden just dig a hole , throw your scraps in and cover, pick a new spot every few days and let the worms do their thing. People have been composting for thousands of years and it only in the last 30 or so years the marketing powers have convinced us we need a $100 barrel to do it in. LOL It's nice but nowhere near essential
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 5:08 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Growing up we just had a pile, but we also didn't have many critters around. We currently have two piles that we keep enclosed with wooden fences in our yard and we put the new stuff in one and every so often shovel the bottom of that onto the other and the bottom of the old on the new. When we go to use it we take the bottom of the old and use that. Bins are nice for rotating like you should for OPTIMUM effectiveness, but they are nowhere near necessary.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 5:13 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Don't forget...fats don't go in a compost pile.

It's not just a food garbage dump, you should only put fruit and veggies in it.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 5:40 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Bin-
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 10:00 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• put everything in the fridge..
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 3:45 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• We use a bin...my dh took a local class for free in our area and he learned about the percentage of greens and browns that u can put in and which veggies you shouldn't put in if u r going to use it as a fertilizer...they r pushing composing in our area so if u took the class u got the bin!
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 9:40 PM on Mar. 8, 2011