How do i help my 13 yr old?

My 13 yr old i just found out is suicidal and homicidal...i am taking him to counseling and they just signed him up for more intense counseling...so they will be coming to the house and school besides me taking him there...on top of that he is adhd and odd so its been really tuff and im not really sure what to do with him...

happykitten3

Asked by happykitten3 at 8:51 AM on Nov. 21, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• Just support him as you are now, listen to him and do not judge and do whatever the Dr's say considering it is in his best interest. Good luck!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:53 AM on Nov. 21, 2008

• My son is bipolar and I went through this with him when he was around 13/14 yrs old. Take him to the local psych hospital and let them evaluate him and get him on medication. My son didnt get that kind of help and at 16 he was arrested for being with some older kids who were attempting to rob a store. Dont mess around with it. Get some in house help now, theyll teach you and him how to deal with this and keep tabs on his behavior.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:13 AM on Nov. 21, 2008

• you should do your best to get to the root of the problem. remeber being a teen is hard and sometimes confusing. and they go thru alot more emotional stress then we think. from trying to fit in to feeling not good enough. alot of times a child can be deeply hurt over something and instead of expressing their feeling in tears the bottle it up thinking no one will inderstand. and when they do that it comes out as anger. try and look past the anger and try to figure out why the child is hurting inside. try to to your best and reasure your child that no matter what they have to say you will NOT judge them only be there for them. lots of extra hugs and i love yous. good luck.
    sweetestkitten

Answer by sweetestkitten at 9:16 AM on Nov. 21, 2008

• I totally agree with the previous poster and as far as do what the Dr. says, if something doesn't feel right, doesn't seem to be working or not the way the Dr. explained to you that it should be, your son doesn't seem to be feeling or getting any better and pretty much if you get any bad vibes, call the Dr. on it. No matter what the game plan, be totally involved, ask questions, don't hold anything back or be afraid to say, "Wait a minute, I'm not sure about this" because it's his/her job to get your son the help he needs NOW, do the research and get as much outside information as you can.  My son has ADHD and ODD as well and I know it can be extremely tough and trying, BELIEVE ME. PM if you need to talk as one ADHD mom to another.

LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 9:20 AM on Nov. 21, 2008

• Also look into a support group for you, talking with others who are going through the same sort of thing will help.
    Anonymous

• i have him on meds for the adhd and odd, they help a little bit but i think they need to try something else...right now hes on adderall and depocote...they were going to admit him to a child mental hospitol but they didnt...dont kno if thats good or bad...he sees his doc in jan. but if it gets to outta control he will be seeing him sooner.
    happykitten3

Answer by happykitten3 at 12:16 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• what exactly is he doing? maybe we could offer some advice.
    sweetestkitten

Answer by sweetestkitten at 2:04 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• try stratera instead of adderal....its more of a psychotic drug and might help with the mood swings and suicidal part of the brain. remember its as hard for him as it is for you
    kutepi

Answer by kutepi at 4:20 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• Try not to be critical of any bad choices he might make right now. He's not thinking with a clear head, so some of his day to day choices aren't going to be so great at times either. Don't walk on eggshells around him, but do take it a little easy on him.

Also, I would like to suggest some group therapy along with the individual therapy. Ask his therapist about this - sometimes it takes seeing others with similar emotions, or worse off than they are to realize things might not be as bad as they think they are.
    Anonymous