PEOPLE IN NY? I have a question

In the state of NY until what age is your parents responsibe for you..

Like moving out dropping out of school etc.. if you have a child.

Could my parents get in trouble if i drop out of school i will be 17 in a few couple months.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:01 AM on Nov. 21, 2008 in General Parenting

• I don't know, but I bet you could ask a guidance counselor at your school about that.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 9:22 AM on Nov. 21, 2008

• This is one of those that depends on the situation, you can be emancipated and your parents would have no responsibility, other than that NY is really confusing about teens and legal responsibility and financial responsibility. If you are 17 and pregnant or already have a child and thinking of dropping out of school see what other options are available talk to your guidance counselor. It will be hard in the short term to finish school with a child, but in the long run it will be a lot easier for you to get a job and take care of yourself and your child if you graduate.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 11:40 AM on Nov. 21, 2008

• don't drop out..finish..finish...i was your age and considering the same thing..although I wasn't having or had a baby at that time...but with help from counselors..it worked out and i graduated hs...you will need it for you and your kids....that diploma is so important..even if if you don't continue on as a college student..just taking technical classes..it is so important.....and makes your life easier....please please dont drop out...try your best ..get help and support from your counselors....you will regret it ...so many i know have...
    Memomi

Answer by Memomi at 2:36 AM on Dec. 2, 2008