How common are false positive?

because theres no way im pregnant, i havent had sex or anything since my last pregnancy/miscarriage. My last period was just light spotting on and off for 5days and this month im late. my period was just getting back on track since my miscarriage 6months ago. i got a faint positive pregnancy test this morning. i took one with my friend this morning, she was really nervous. her's was negative and mine had a faint positive.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:27 PM on Mar. 3, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Generally speaking, if you did everything correctly, there are never any false positives.
    parajumper3

Answer by parajumper3 at 5:29 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• It is extremely rare. Either go to the doctor to have it confirmed or retake it in a week or so. You may have just seen what is called a ghost line. Or just and indication of where a line would be.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:29 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• well, no sex no pregnancy... I would go to the doctor to find out what is up.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:30 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Unless you are on hormone therapy that would alter your HGC levels....are you sure you didn't mix up the tests? because false positives are very rare.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 5:30 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Well a false positive is VERY rare!... Do you know if your Beta HCG levels are back to 0? because maybe you can still have a little bit of HCG in you after the miscarriage even if it was 6 months ago. If I were you I'd go see my doctor asap.

VanillaBlondie8

Answer by VanillaBlondie8 at 5:31 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Are you sure you are reading the test within the right amount of time? After a certain time frame you can get evaporation lines which look like a positive. If you truly have had no sperm anywhere near your vagina in the last 6 months then there is really very little chance you could be pregnant. I would call the doc if you don't start soon.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 5:33 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I would go to the dr
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 5:34 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• You are the next Mary! Congrats! JK it is very rare to get a false positive but very common to get a false negative. Good luck figuring this one out.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 5:59 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• im absolutely positive i didnt mix up the test, we both held them in our hand until the sign came up. im not on any horomone shots or pills. my hcg levels did go back to 0, about 4 1/2 months ago, ive tested negative since then until now. I mean ive had some of the signs of pregnancy, nausea, fatigue, cant sleep, headaches, light cramps, backaches, craving things i dnt usually eat n hungry more, and i always feel bloated or like a full feeling in my abdomen area. started 2weeks ago. its really weird cause i couldnt be pregnant. i know i dont have any cyst or anything because i went to the dr in janurary.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:37 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• very rare to get a false positive. However there are a few things that could cause HCG to be in your system. All of them need to be addressed by a doctor.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:33 PM on Mar. 3, 2011