Hoarding or just a slob?

I love watching the hoarding shows on TLC and A&E! It def gives me motivation to clean my house lol. I understand that its psycological but what seperates a hoarder from a slob? Im not talking about buying stuff and saving it. Im talking about the shows where the entire house is filled with trash, maggots and animal feces. I agree that there is depression involved but is it hoarding at that point? How do you feel? Any experience with it?

Steph319

Asked by Steph319 at 5:47 PM on Mar. 3, 2011 in Health

• I think some of the people have serious mental health problems and some are just lazy slobs.

Like the people on "Clean House"...they all seem like they are just lazy slobs. It's interesting too, that they all seem to be really overweight.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 5:51 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I seriously doubt anyone wants to live in that kind of filth. It's psychological not laziness. 

luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 5:52 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I love those shows too and I am always jumping up in an ad break to clean something! I don't know why it is this way. My sister started of messy and (to be honest lazy - why should she clean it) but now she is hoarding, every single scrap of paper the kids bring home is kept, there are 3 large boxes of shoes at the front door, you would never want to eat after you saw the kitchen, it's awful and sad - she is maybe not classic as it is half she doesn't want to throw it away and half that she just does not believe it is her job to clean any of it. She is a SAHM (all kids at school) and spends most days reading Romance novels.
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 5:53 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Now upsherises that's a little derogatory don't you think.  We could have done without hat last bit.

luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 5:53 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I think some people just need maids. I know I dont know how to clean very well, I was never really taught how. I understand and own the fact I an not good at it. I therefore hire someone to come and clean my house once a week for me. I think there is a lazyness if these people wont pick up a phone and call merry maids.

Answer by gemgem at 5:53 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

For some it is. My sister is always "so busy" never has time, flat out.... she chooses to do everything but clean her home, and will actually say "why should I ?" She definitely chooses it.
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 5:56 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I cant understand why you ladies might be upset with upsherises. She is not being rude. I know that this can happen to anyone but most of the ppl on the show are overweight. Im assuming thats all she meant by it. It could be sometimes linked to letting yourself go and letting your home and life go
    Steph319

Comment by Steph319 (original poster) at 5:58 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• That's fine and good, but it was the wording. It's amazing what the phrase "no offence" can do.  Because truth be told I was a little offended and expressed my consern.  I'm sorry if I offended anyone, but I had to stand up for my feelings. 

luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 6:11 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• It's emotional behaviors, medical conditions. Something that was triggered from a traumatic experience. Depression makes the place messy if the person has a hard time getting out of bed or motivated. Then the place starts getting really messy and it becomes overwhelming for the person and instead of doing something about it, they get deeper into their funk. Maybe it started out as a bit of laziness, but not everyone knows to recognize when things are going on in their own lives for them to control. They are ashamed, but once it gets too far, it just circles back...sinks them deeper and deeper into their depression.

I'd consider myself a stage 1 hoarder...but at the same time, a procrastinator. I'll admit though, I do watch the show and clean during the commercials. Whatever motivates a person...if it takes a train wreck for someone to recognize a could be train wreck...it can be fixed. -Shrugs-
    Imortlmommy

Answer by Imortlmommy at 6:21 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I am forever watching those shows! lol I love them, but in more of an "I can't look away!!!" kind of way. lol

As for the hoarder vs. lazy slob, it's like this. The house was clean once upon a time. Then, the hoarder started collecting. Still pretty clean. As the collection builds, it gets harder and harder to clean around. Mess accumulates, and depression from the mess sets in. Eventually they just stop trying at all, because it's like where is it going to get them? There is so much stuff they can't move!
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 6:24 PM on Mar. 3, 2011