Parental right to select what content of your child is on facebook?

My SIL's have always posted TONS of pictures of my son on fb since he was born...this has always irked me but have been too busy raising a preemie to pick a battle with them. my husband and i have recently been discussing this issue lately, and the other night after the SIL and MIL babysat my son, there were TONS of pics and a video of my son posted on fb. I kindly asked that they take the video down and limit the pics, and the SIL's got SOOOOOO offended. Not only did they lie and say they took it down when they didn't, they "unfriended" me so i can't see what they post. childish on their part? Why is it so difficult to respect our wishes as parents?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:57 PM on Mar. 3, 2011 in Relationships

• Even though it's your child, if they take the photos, they own them and can pretty much do as they please with them. I know it sucks, but you really have no way to 100% protect your child's image from appearing on a social network.
    SnapdragonSMT

Answer by SnapdragonSMT at 5:59 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• If you specifically ask then I think they should respect that. However I am more like them myself. I had a premie and I ended up making like 4 full albums of just him the first year he was here. I'm sure their intentions were not to hurt or upset you. They are proud of their nephew/ grandchild and wanted to show him off.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 6:11 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I don't think anyone should have the right to post pictures of anyone else's child on FB or anywhere else online, relative or not. Whether they own the pictures or whatever because they took them, I don't know, but the last time I heard anything on this subject if you report to FB that those were put up without your permission they take them down. Besides that it's extremely rude to ignore a parent's wishes, as proud as they may be he is not their child. Period. They are immature for unfriending you so you can't see what they put up. I've dealt with this before and I stopped giving pictures to the people doing it then I made sure they didn't take any pictures of my kids on their own cameras to put up.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 6:17 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• mrs.coop:
    would you ever get upset if someone respectfully asked you to take down content of their children? i know their intentions were in the right place, which is why we waited so long to address it, but the video became much. my issue is dont understand why they've declared war with me because i respectfully asked them to take it down.
    hope your preemie is doing well!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:21 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Report it to facebook. If that don't work, report it to the cops.
    Honda309

Answer by Honda309 at 8:40 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• i would LOVE to report it to facebook, but in order to do so fb requires the URL to the photo/content...since i've been "unfriended" i no longer have access to the URL. suggestions?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:13 PM on Mar. 4, 2011