BYU player dismissed for pre-martial sex-

There are so many sides to this- yes, it was part of the honor code, yes, he violated it and yes, they have the right to dismiss him-

story

Just wondering what your take is on it- is the honor code reasonable- will it help or hurt the University-

In general- what do you think of this story?

soyousay

Asked by soyousay at 6:07 PM on Mar. 3, 2011 in Religious Debate

• You don't apply to BYU unless you already know about those rules, and for the most part, already live by them. I know several LDS who turned down scholarship offers to BYU because they don't live that strictly, and I know others who were happy to apply because they already lived that way, so the rules were no big deal for them.

There probably are some who thought the scholarships were too good to pass up despite the rules who have broken the rules, but they do so knowing they're going to lose their ride (or their spot on the team, or their housing, etc). If they choose to do it anyway, the consequences are on them, just like anyone else who breaks a school or employer code of conduct.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:25 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• He knew the honor code and agreed to it, so he has to face the consequences. However, I do think it's really strict and a little ridiculous IMO, so I would never agree to an honor code like this one myself. Even if you try to do (or not do) those things, people slip up sometimes--especially little stuff like cussing or drinking tea and coffee. I don't think it's a bad idea to have an honor code necessarily, but having one that is too strict and too unforgiving may not be beneficial. I thought it was an interesting story though.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 7:37 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• As a privately funded University they made the players aware of teh code and have a right to dismiss them...... Do i think their basketball program can succeed with such a rule in place, well I think if they do their homework they'll probably find a good percentage of their players having engaged in pre-marital sex or violating another code (such as drinking) and have grounds to dismiss the entire team in which case their program won't be getting very far anytime soon. I think it depends on where they are willing to uphold their policies or simply glaze over the code violations with a slap on the wrist in terms of their program being successful.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 6:53 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Even if I think its ridiculous, he signed the contract or was aware of the code....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 6:24 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• DUG not fug...Darn Typos
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 7:19 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• If you are aware of the code of conduct and break the rules anyway...tough titties. I don't think that I would attend a schools with a policy like that, but if you choose to attend you'd better be prepared to observe the rules.
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 10:14 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• He knowingly signed the contract, so he gets to suffer the consequences. I disagree with the honor code- No coffee or tea......no beard or goatee. Wonder if the men are allowed to touch their pee-pee when they void? No fun, in college. Repress, repress repress. No wonder these folks have to surround themselves with liked minded individuals, their parameters for life are rather in-congruent with the 21st century world!

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:16 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• If he knew of this honor code, then he knew what could happen.
    idaspida

Answer by idaspida at 6:12 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I'm wondering how they can prove he had premarital sex??? But if he signed the contract obviously he new it could happen!!

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 6:19 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• The Honor Code requires:

Abstinence from illicit drugs, alcohol, tobacco, coffee, and tea (substances forbidden by the LDS Word of Wisdom)
    Honesty
    Encouraging others in their commitment to keep the Honor Code
    Living a chaste and virtuous life:
    Appropriate gender-specific behavior (no sexual harassment)
    No involvement with pornographic or indecent material
    No inappropriate sexual activity (no sexual relationships outside of marriage)
    No homosexual behavior
    Obedience to the law
    Active participation in Church services (according to whatever religion of which one is a member)
    Respect for others
    Clean language
    Following the "Residential Living Standards" (visiting hours for members of the opposite sex)
    Abiding by the guidelines for dress, grooming, and housing. Skirts and shorts must reach to the knee and shirts may not be sleeveless. Form fitting, strapless and revealing clothing is not appropriate
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 7:17 PM on Mar. 3, 2011