Could it be an ear infection or something else?

My daughter woke up about 30min ago and she is really cranky she will be ok then just all the sudden she willl start to scream. She is very tense and she has had a runny nose for a couple of days. Even us holding her is not helping. Can you help me figure this out because if it is probably just cold related and the Dr cant do anything I dont want to take her.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:10 AM on Nov. 21, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Are her ears or the area behinid her ears red? Is she pulling at them? Does she cry when you lay her down? Does she have a fever? These would all be signs of ear infection... When in doubt, call the doctor's office and ask to speak with a nurse. If you describe what is going on, the nurse ought to be able to tell you whether or not they'd like you to bring her in.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 9:13 AM on Nov. 21, 2008

• She has been tugging at her ears since she was born. And she has only done that a couple times. Her ears are not red but when I rub the back of them she gets a little agitated. No she does not have a fever. And she doesn't like to lay down anyway she will pull herself up to sitting up if I try.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:27 AM on Nov. 21, 2008

• Okay, well then if that were my son, I would actually assume that it was his stomach bothering him, especially because you said she is very tense. When my son's stomach hurts, he gets really tense all over and is pretty inconsolable. So if it were me, I would try mylicon drops and see if that helps. And, of course, if your mommy-sense tells you to take her in, go ahead and take her in.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 9:32 AM on Nov. 21, 2008

• Ok thank you...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:36 AM on Nov. 21, 2008