Does disciplining your child(ren) via internet videos/pictures cross into abuse?

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/02/24/earlyshow/living/parenting/main20035890.shtml?tag=cbsnewsLeadStoriesAreaMain;cbsnewsLeadStoriesHeadlines

In recent days, parents, seemingly pushed to the limit by trouble-making children, have chosen very public forms of punishments, causing an uproar on the internet and airwaves.

Earlier this month, an Ebay user identified as Daney21, put her sons' toys up for auction after they scraped and chipped her bathtub. But that's not all. She also posted pictures of her two tearful boys and wrote: "We received a quote of $500 to replace the tub" and "the kids had $125 in their piggy banks that will go toward the cost."

The listing became a heated topic of debate in the blogosphere. Users ganged up on the mom, sending her irate messages while upping the bidding to a million dollars to ruin the auction.

Just days ago, a teen in Tampa, Fla., was forced by his distraught mom to display his low grade point average while standing on a busy street corner for hours. The message on his sign read, "GPA 1.22 Honk if I need an education."

The mother told CBS News, "In the long run, he'll thank me for it."

tasches

Asked by tasches at 6:09 PM on Mar. 3, 2011 in General Parenting

• If DS is ever caught stealing he'll be standing outside of that store with a sign saying he did just that.

Are we even allowed to discipline our children at all anymore? Sheesh.
    Anonymous

• I would never purposley humiliate my child. I think that's a terrible way to behave.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 6:12 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• There are a lot of crazy people out there and no way to not let them have kids. I'm not talking about the people with mental illness or diseases they can not control It's the same people who are the bad drivers we see every day. Hidden with normal till they hit the extreme and do something that appalls us all.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 6:16 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• People wonder why kids are becoming miserable, violent, hateful, disobedient brats- it is because of the over protective AP movement (aka the "Helicopter" parenting). If a kid intentionally destroyed it, they deserve to be punished for it. Neither of those cases was out of line.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 6:24 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I don't necessarily think it's abuse, but I don't think that 'public shaming' is a technique I really want to rely on for discipline either.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:41 PM on Mar. 3, 2011