Visits with Dad? Long....

My DS's dad and have been over for a while now, and I don't have any communication with him because of some domestic violence issues. If he sees DS it's when his parents can supervise.

All of last week he spent harassing me and my family(constant phone calls, emails). He's using the excuse that he was in the hospital and drugged up so he didn't know what he was doing (he's addicted to prescription pain pills). Yesterday his mom calls and asks to see DS on Saturday. It will be her, her husband, and DS's dad. I didn't really want to, but I agreed because I know DS is safe with his grandparents. I'm kinda of torn because I don't want to stand in the way of DS seeing his dad but at the same time I feel like parenting is a privilege. I'm not comfortable letting DS be around his dad especially since he's been so unstable lately. I just don't know what to do.

P.S. I have temporary sole custody and we don't have any visitation set up.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:10 PM on Mar. 3, 2011 in General Parenting

• if visitation has not been established, I wouldn't do it.
    I'm in a nasty situation with a supervised visitation order, and it destroys the kids when they have to see their father. When a child has to see their parent use/abuse drugs, or be exposed to their instability it causes them mental and emotional harm.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 6:19 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• honestly if you legaly dont have to then dont and if he keeps harrasing you contact the police... if hes not stable then he shouldent get the privalege of seeing your ds
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 6:13 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• If you have temp custody I am to assume there is a hearing for perm custody coming up? If so you need to really get to documenting as much as you can because otherwise it can be used against you. My ex tried to keep my son from me and tried to do supervised visits also. Of course I am not a drug addict and I have never threatened him. He was just pissed at me for throwing him out. Anyway when we went to court I ended up with custody because he did not encourage a relationship with me and my son. That was a huge thing. He had also lied on court documents lol, but still. Document everything and make sure you can spell out exactly why you have chose this course of action, and how he has also not complained about it. It will h elp you alot in court.

Answer by gemgem at 6:20 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I wouldnt allow it, the safety of your child comes first, I was in a simialr situation, my bf was really violent, when I found out I was pregnant I left him, cause I was afraid he would harm our baby, he had low tolerance... I have full custody and he does not even care to see his daugther... Im happyily married with my 2nd on the way... but if i was in your situation I would not let him,... you see so many cases on the news... its scary... take it to court
    Kandis20

Answer by Kandis20 at 6:37 PM on Mar. 3, 2011