Why is there teacher bashing? Don't you think their jobs are hard enough?

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/03/education/03teacher.html?_r=1&hpw

Ms. Parker, a second-year teacher making $36,000, fears that under the proposed legislation class sizes would rise and higher contributions to her benefits would knock her out of the middle class.

“I love teaching, but I have $26,000 of student debt,” she said. “I’m 30 years old, and I can’t save up enough for a down payment” for a house. Nor does she own a car. She is making plans to move to Colorado, where she could afford to keep teaching by living with her parents.

Around the country, many teachers see demands to cut their income, benefits and say in how schools are run through collective bargaining as attacks not just on their livelihoods, but on their value to society.

tasches

Asked by tasches at 6:19 PM on Mar. 3, 2011 in Money & Work

• IDK. It's very bizzarre.

This weirdo on FOX was whinning that, including benefits, the average teachers salary is $75k. I'd consider that a living wage.

Seriously...the average lawmaker is making six figures.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 6:23 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• BTW...those people totally look like a bunch of "thugs". Especially the elderly people.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 6:24 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• IDK, teachers around here start at 40K out of college. That's not bad at all. I started at 30k fresh out of college with an engineering degree. And I didn't get summers off.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 11:23 AM on Mar. 4, 2011