I am working with my daugther and trying to get her to listen and not be aggresive while playing with other children... any advice that Helps?!

My daughter is about to be 2 on April 8... she is very active, and gets into everything, she is a tough little cookie... she can tolerate pain. She is easily distracted, anyways when I try to correct her, its like she does not care if I have firm tone of voice, or I pat her butt she does not care, she just laughs, or tells me... "no pow pow mommy" Im trying to work with her on listening, i give her chances, but still she does not care... any tips or advice?!? something that worked for you? does time out work?

Kandis20

Asked by Kandis20 at 6:25 PM on Mar. 3, 2011 in General Parenting

• I find that one of the best ways to get LOs to listen is to get on their level and talk very quietly and slowly.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 6:27 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• A strong No and redirection will be your best friend.
    mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 6:32 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I have tried that as well... but it just does not work... Im worried what the terrible two is going to look like :/
    Kandis20

Comment by Kandis20 (original poster) at 6:32 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I would put her in time out....or take away her favorite toy. But make sure and explain why you are doing these things...
    katieandchris01

Answer by katieandchris01 at 6:33 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I can try time out, she does not even have a favorate toy... she has never been into toys... but actually recently she got addicted to the Toy story and monsters inc movie so maybe i can take that away...
    Kandis20

Comment by Kandis20 (original poster) at 6:44 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I spanked my children for disobeying me, being disrespectful of me and for being disrespectful of others, which would include being aggressive toward them. It wasn't just a pat on the butt. It was hard enough that they felt the sting of their disobedience, and it worked. You should never have to tell a child more than once what he is to do. He should obey without delay, debate, or defiance. Spanking works when done correctly, and no, none of my children has ever had any aggressive tendencies whatsoever. You explain what you expect, what they did not do or did that you told them not to, you spank their bare skin, and you tell them you love them too much to allow them to grow up being undisciplined. Give them a hug and go on about your business.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 6:47 PM on Mar. 3, 2011