Starting Prenatals....

Ok so we have been ttc for about a year now, and I have recently been told to start prenatals in order to gear my body up for pregnancy....

I have also been told to use mucinex, by a few different moms on here.... one just about swore that it helped her to conceive!! But I guess my question is, is there anything wrong with taking mucinex when I dont have the symptoms generally requiring the use of it??

katieandchris01

Asked by katieandchris01 at 6:30 PM on Mar. 3, 2011 in Trying to Conceive

• Hmmm, Ive never heard of using that help concieve. I would ask your Dr. mine always said to use tylenol or benadryl if I wasnt feeling well when pregnant so I'm not sure if I would use it while ttc.
    csmsand

Answer by csmsand at 6:34 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• It's used as a mucus thinner if you EWCM is too thick. When the cervical mucus is too thick the sperm cannot easilt move through it.

If you don't have thick cervical mucus there is no reason to take it. It won't hurt you though if you take it when your not sick. You can also use Robitusson or any other mucus thinner.

BUT you ONLY take it during your follicular phase, typically during your fertile week, and then STOP it after ovulation. These meds are typically NOT meds that you should take in early pregnancy so it's VERY IMPORTANT to chart so you do accidently take it after ovulation.

Get the book Taking Charge Of Your Fertility.

Honestly charting might be all you need to get pregnant.
    Anonymous

• Try preseed to help the swimmers along.......
    Peggs11

Answer by Peggs11 at 2:28 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• IDK about the mucinex thing but you should take prenatals WITH folic acid. That way your body already has the nutrients instead of just starting on them.
    vjoaquin

Answer by vjoaquin at 11:39 PM on Mar. 4, 2011

• idk abt that one but when i started pre natal vitamins it completely messed my body up
    san78

Answer by san78 at 10:09 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• I started on folic acid only. Won't start the prenatal vitamins until I need to. Last time I started on them early just to be sure though.
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 9:03 AM on Mar. 6, 2011