Did you do preschool or not?

So, I am trying to decide about next year, so I would love input . . .

Did you choose to put your child in preschool? Why or why not? For how many years? Are you happy with your decision?

ImaginationMama

Asked by ImaginationMama at 6:44 PM on Mar. 3, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I have had my oldest in preschool for 3 years now, this is his 3rd year. He was put in due to being developmentally delayed with a speech delay and sensory disorder, so his preschool class has been with the same teacher and teacher assistant for the whole 3 years and his class is mixed with special needs children and non-special needs kids which is great. It was the best choice ever and never regret it. He has come a long long way from when he first started and I'm extremely proud of all the progress he's made along the way. I am enrolling my youngest when he turns 3 with the same teacher because she is really great with the kids. My second son is non-special needs but I feel either way it will benefit him for the time until he can go to kindergarten
    shortmommy23

Answer by shortmommy23 at 6:52 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I did it with all my three kids as they turned 3, and I never regretted it, it was an experience for them as well as me!

Answer by older at 6:45 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I did not. Mostly because of money but also, I don't think he could have gotten in. Where I live they only take a certain number of children and mostly the only kids that get in are returning or younger siblings of returning kids, they get priority.
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 6:46 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Yes, my kids went for two days a week when they were 3 and 4. They loved it and it was great socialization for them.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 6:48 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• So far, I haven't put my daughter in preschool, mainly because she was denied because our income exceeded the limits. I am a stay at home mom and can give my daughter the one one one she needs. I babysit so she still gets interaction with kids her age. I will probably put her in a private one next year at 4 years old just so she can get an idea what kindergarten will be like.
    elenalee

Answer by elenalee at 6:47 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I didn't with my older 2 kids and I wish I had they were behind the other children in their class, but my 6 year old went and my now 4 year old is in preschool now and my last will also go when she is old enough, I seen a big difference in my girls that went they were on track with everyone else and above some of the kids in their classes & my 6 year old still is.
    momto4girzls

Answer by momto4girzls at 6:48 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• i put my dd in preschool when she was 4. I wanted her to have an early start on education & work on her social skills. I think she's benefitting from it so much. I don't see what negativity can result from her going to school.
    rAbella

Answer by rAbella at 6:49 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• none of my kids have done preschool. the 1st and 3rd never had any problems. They loved kindergarden and never had a problem being away from me, doing the work, playing with other kids or listening to the teacher. I do wish my second kid had gone to preschool. he had a very hard time when he started kindergarden. he wouldn't go to the bathroom by him self, was too shy to talk to the other kids or adults. after a couple weeks he was ok, but the 1st two weeks were very hard.

i don't know if i will be sending my younger two to preschool or not yet. i might when they are 4, but not before then.
    happy-go-lucky

Answer by happy-go-lucky at 6:52 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• my sons been in daycare pretty much since he was 4 months old and hes now 3. between school and working as a single mom i had no choice. But I love it. He's learned so much from daycare it suprises me how smart he is! and his social skills are incrediable. So when he turns 3-4 I will be putting him in Pre-K or Headstart..which ever there basiclly the same thing and up here its really hard to get in because its an exteremly small town. they only have room for 20 kids.
    SweetPoison

Answer by SweetPoison at 6:53 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• we had that problem also! took us awhile to come to a agreement! my husband didnt want him to go and i didnt want him to go either but, i knew he would love it and he does!! my husband also didnt think he was ready i really just think he wasnt to let go and let him go wither same i worried about it too! but it has wonderful exceptions too it learning to play with others Im a stay at home mom so that was important bc he didnt play too much with kids also give you sometime to yourself or one less kid for a few hours and get more done!! while he is in school knowing hes safe and learning and having fun!! I wanted him to go also to get more social skills and learn whats school is so he is ready for kindergarten we are thankful that we made the choice for him to go dont regret it at all!!! good luck
    ashb28

Answer by ashb28 at 6:54 PM on Mar. 3, 2011