can a step mother put a stepson on her health insurance

this stepson. not live with his father. the boy is covered by his mother and recievce medicaid. we live in northern va

tlvagirl

Asked by tlvagirl at 7:01 PM on Mar. 3, 2011 in General Parenting

• You'd have to check with your insurance on the qualifications for dependents. That's going to vary from insurance company I don't think the state you live in has anything to do with it. My SO can not place my son on his insurance unless he adopts him. Both of my parents insurance defines dependent as related through blood or adoption, so a step child would not be covered on theirs either. Look at what your insurance states for qualifying dependent. GL
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 7:12 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• When I was working, I carried the health insurance. I was able to put my step daughter on the plan. We live in Ohio. I would call and find out.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 7:24 PM on Mar. 3, 2011