Sweethearts ???

My 13 yr old has a crush on this boy at school same age as her,anyways he has been buying her stuff he bought her a pillow pet for valentines day,he holds her hand,buys her drinks like dr.pepper flowers innocent things. My husband is against her being that close to this kid. I feel the same way my religion teaches us to not let our kids date till 16 but my daughter is so much like my husband she is a social butterfly and very beautiful,boys love her and a lot of them want to date her already. I know if I forbid her she will go behind my back so I want her to be honest with me,I don't want them too be alone together I want her to have friends with her,if that makes any difference. I do not allow her to go to dances alone and she cant be at anyones house unless adults will be their and I know them somewhat. I would like a womans opinion on this,and no bashing please. We've had the birds and the bees talk,she's very mature and knows probally more than I give her credit for she also doesnt want kids for a very very long time. Should I talk to this kid and his parents? Or just pay close attention to them?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:05 PM on Mar. 3, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• I think there should be limitations for the simple fact she is 13. But, you are right, if you start putting your foot down, she's going to rebel. Just set limitations and tell her that you have to do this for her own safety. ;o)

Good Luck!
    alyssamal

Answer by alyssamal at 7:16 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I think it's a little simple fling. They are only 13. If she's mature and you trust your daughter then I don't see any reason why it should be more than being a curious thing. It's just fun I think. But If you were curious and want to feel better about the situation, ask your daughter to see if you can talk to his parents. Or ask her about him. It won't hurt! GL
    ashleyxo8

Answer by ashleyxo8 at 7:25 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I wouldn't have a problem with those things, but I would probably tell her not to let him spend too much money on her (just because kids that age don't have much money to start with). I wouldn't have a problem with the two of them spending time together doing things like watching TV with you at your house, talking on the phone, going on some family activities, etc.

I think you are right not to let her "date" as in go out unsupervised at this point, but I think you do have to balance the fact that her peers are doing these things and she is going to want to do these things too. I think allowing them to spend time together is an innocent way to have this balance.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:53 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Mom, there is nothing like that first young love, I would just keep a close eye on her and the situation.

Answer by older at 8:12 AM on Mar. 4, 2011