Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

4 Bumps

How do I start the process of a step parent adoption?

My husband wants to adopt my daughter from a previous relationship. He is in the Air Force and we are stationed over seas. Is there help on base for this? How do I file for this if we are abroad? My ex is willing to sign his rights over.

Answer Question

Asked by mrs.a.ramos at 7:11 PM on Mar. 3, 2011 in Adoption

Level 2 (6 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • I'm actually trying to do the same with my husband and my son from another man before my husband and I ever met. I'm not abroad though and stationed in Virginia and the father of the child has no clue about the child other than I was pregnant, he doesn't want to be contacted or anything whatsoever... So I'm curious about the answer to a situation like this too.

    Answer by shortmommy23 at 7:13 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

  • When I googled the process I came accross another quetion like mine and an answer said that base legal helps with this situation and fees need to be paid but are entitled for reimbursement. So I think I will make a trip down to legal and ask.

    Comment by mrs.a.ramos (original poster) at 7:17 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

  • Hire a lawyer. It's not something you want to mess with because a mistake could cause huge problems. Let someone that knows the process handle it and guide you through it.

    Answer by desert_diva at 7:19 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

  • Your correct to head down to legal and let them take care of it. I'm not sure how it works overseas. Stateside they will do the adoption for you, I would imagine the same applies where you are, but if not I'm sure they will know what direction to point you. And you do have to pay fees up front, but then there are forms to fill out to get reimbursed.

    Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 7:37 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

  • JAG doesn't handle civil cases. Adoption is civil. You will have to wait until your stateside and file it all. Have your ex go to an attorney and see what he needs to do to terminate his parental rights and then you won't have to worry about that when you come home. It cost us 2K for each adoption plus the home study and background checks. One judge allowed the adoption to take place without my husband (the adopting parent)being in the courtroom, he was in Iraq but, the other judge for his child's adoption wanted me (the adopting parent) to be in the courtroom.

    Answer by matthewscandi at 9:57 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

  • Contact an attorney. It is a painless process. My step dad adopted me when I was 35 :)

    Answer by TALuke at 12:53 PM on May. 1, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.