Have you heard of Colloidal silver and do you use it for your kids?

this lady that use to go to my church was telling me about it over facebook today. I mentioned how my oldest had a fever of 100.4 and was throwing up today she told me how she uses it on her 2 year old and has since she can remember when he is sick then she says within an hour he is back to normal. The thing is wouldn't that affect their ammune system? I mean that is why you get sick to build up the ammune system. He says it makes them feel better and she says it is safer than giving them antibiotics. I looked it up and seen it has metal in it so how is it safer than an antibiotic? What do you think about this? Would you give it to your children? Why or why not?

mommy5409

Asked by mommy5409 at 7:15 PM on Mar. 3, 2011 in General Parenting

• I suggest you read further. It can be dangerous.
    Anonymous

• I have mixed feelings about it. I know people who use it and swear by it, and their families are healthy. I've seen some studies that say it's safe and effective. I've also seen some that discredit it and say it's dangerous.

I agree that being sick once in a while is a good thing. It DOES help build up the immune system and keep bigger stuff from getting through. But I don't think that giving colloidal silver is going to ruin that effect, certainly not more than an antibiotic will.

Do your research and make the decision you feel is best for your family.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 7:26 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• OMG I will be the first to tell you that this stuff is AMAZING!! My boyfriends mom and grandma drink this stuff when they are sick. Last time we were visiting there I had a bad fever and chills and had it for 2 days before I got there. I drank that stuff every half hour to hour till the next morning (obv not when i was sleeping) but the next day....I felt like a brand new person. It truly works and is definitely safe!! TRY IT!!
    Keeely07

Answer by Keeely07 at 7:23 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• It's a staple in our house.
    My 2 year old has asthma and gets ill quite often - coughs that take months to go away.. Rather than running to the doctor for antibiotics, I treat her at home.
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 8:22 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Oh, yes and yes! I actually don't use it for true illnesses - but it is a natural antibiotic. I used for diaper rash first - it would heal it overnight, no matter how bad it was (my oldest 2 used to go to a daycare that was really bad - I could drop them off fine, pick them up 6 hours later with bleeding bottoms because their poopy diapers didn't get changed - and yes, it would be as good as healed the next morning from using the silver). It's also excellent for ear infections - a drop or two in the affected ear, swallow some, and within hours it's improving. My sister got over a bout of pink eye within 2 days by using it instead of Rx eye drops. Canker or other mouth sore - dab, swish, swallow, repeat every few hours. It's not going to work for everything, every illness, etc, but for somethings, it works absolute wonders. I use it on my hemorrhoids too. LOVE the stuff.
    Anonymous

• i would not use it for vomiting. when you are vomiting you are getting rid of something that should not be in your body. a fever of 100.4 is very low, i would not seek any intervention for that either. we feel the need to take away the pain that our babies get...but we must think of the longrun.
    i also believe it is healthy to get sick once in a while.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:38 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• ANON...I wont give it to my kids from just the little I did hear about it. I was just asking because this lady told me about it so I told her I read into it and it is not good and told her it has metal in it. Then she sends me a website that she said to read she said some info is wrong over the internet (which in that case how does she know the one she gave me is right), but then she tells me that it isn't toxic to our bodys like antibiotics are. Which how is that? So no I wont use it from just what I read.
    mommy5409

Comment by mommy5409 (original poster) at 7:49 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• Metal in it? What kind? And how? I don't believe that for a minute. It's not toxic like man-made antibiotics because it's not man-made. It's not harmful unless you drink something like 70 bottles all at once (even then you'd only feel flu-ish and vomit). It is so much better FOR SOME THINGS than going to the doctor for antibiotics.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:39 AM on Mar. 4, 2011

• I have read about it & saw a story on like 20/20 or PrimeTime Live (cant recall which) & its not a good thing to use.
    Anonymous