I've always wondered

If ppl from the south (southern accent) or East coast (New York or New jersey) accents thought ppl from the west coast /north west (California, Oregon, Seattle etc.) had accents?

ashleyxo8

Asked by ashleyxo8 at 7:20 PM on Mar. 3, 2011 in Just for Fun

• Lol! I've wondered the same thing.
    myree85

Answer by myree85 at 8:59 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• When we first got stationed in CA...I literally couldn't understand about 25% of what was said. I heard a boy ask my son once "do you know how to grab a tube?"...and didn't have a clue he was talking about surfing..LOL.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 7:26 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• i grew up in NY and i definantly have the NY accent. i say neva for never and suga for sugar and i say STOOOPID for stupid. my husband grew up in brooklyn so everything he said ends with an r. so if someones name would be noah, he would say noer
    poshkat

Answer by poshkat at 7:35 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I was in NH once visiting family (I am from Michigan) and we went to one of those dinner movie theaters, where you have a waitress and order from a menu while watching a movie (something I had never seen before, lol), and when I went to order the waitress could NOT understand me. She finally asked me, "Are you from France?" I just laughed and said no. But I guess I did sound different. And my cousins always make fun of the way we talk. The one I always laugh about is socks. They say socks with a long o and we say it with a short o, so when they mimick how we say it, it is very nasely (making up my own words :P) and funny! But yeah, they think we have an accent!
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 7:47 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Lol maybe
    Raccoon

Answer by Raccoon at 7:22 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Not accents per se, but there is definitely a huge gap in the slang.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 7:22 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Maybe i am wrong since i have never been ... but maybe californians dont seem to have an accent to us because of TV?
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 7:52 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• lol
    Dani3lla

Answer by Dani3lla at 8:05 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I grew up on the west coast, in CA. I spent most of my summers growing up in Kentucky. Most of my friends there used to tell me I talked funny. I lived in MA now. My "accent" doesn't get noticed as much, but I still get questions every once in a while.
    Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 8:20 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Sure do!
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 9:39 PM on Mar. 3, 2011