What are your tricks for getting a sick, cranky baby to sleep?

My son is almost 7 months old and is having a really hard time sleeping. He has a runny nose, cough and fever (though the fever seems to have broken for now). For three (or maybe four... I can't remember I'm so tired lol) nights he hasn't been able to sleep. Nap time is horrible, he WANTS to go to sleep, but he just can't. He nurses and then he cries because he's so tired but can't fall asleep. Same thing all night long, he's just fussy and tired and sad :(

I've done the steamy bathroom, saline nose drops, sucking his nose out, giving painkillers, rocking, singing... oh, and he cosleeps with us, so I lay with him whenever we're laying down.

I need your best tricks, ladies, because we both HAVE to get some better sleep tonight! How do I get this poor baby to sleep without a fight and how do I keep him asleep for long enough that we both get some decent rest?

Ati_13

Asked by Ati_13 at 7:22 PM on Mar. 3, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Can you let him sleep in his swing, stroller, bouncy chair, or someplace else that he is in more of an upright position? Or put him on a boppy pillow? Obviously that's not recommended all the time but for naps when you can watch him or sleep right next to him it's probably ok at 7 months. Other than trying to hold him while he sleeps or putting him in the car and driving around that's about all I've got. Good luck- I know it's so hard and it sounds like you're trying all the usual things.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 7:51 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• A humidifier and vicks on his chest.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:26 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I've done that too :(
    Ati_13

Comment by Ati_13 (original poster) at 7:27 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I'm not sure if you are supposed to give cough syrup that young. Our dd is almost 6 months...same thing...She is also not eating...took her to the dr. and she has an ear infection in both ears. The only thing that helps is tylenol and letting her sleep in her swing. Good luck!
    BWIND

Answer by BWIND at 9:16 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Cough syrup. works every time .
    kalynskorner

Answer by kalynskorner at 8:59 PM on Mar. 3, 2011