Did anybody else just do the ultrasound and not the blood work on the 12 week NT scan?

We went in and the neck measured normal and you could see the nasal bone which is what they look for in Down's babies. I decided not to go with the bloodwork because too many people have told me about getting false positives. My Dr. told me that the older you are, the more likely you are to get a false positive. I am almost 34 and just didn't want to worry about it if I got a false positive. Anybody rnd up having a downs baby with only doing the ultrasound?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:23 PM on Mar. 3, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I never do the blood work for Downs. Not worth it to me, and if we have a Down's baby we have a Down's baby, I won't love them any less. I also don't do ultrasounds unless we suspect a problem.

I think you'll be fine. At 34 your risk of having a Down's baby is still less than 1%. They recommend the amniocentisis for moms 35 and older because at 35 the risk of the baby having Down's is the same as the risk of the amnio causing a miscarriage, not because it's vital to detect it, or because the risk is huge. That's just when it starts to be justifyable.

Congratulations on your pregnancy! :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 7:30 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I never did a 12 week ultrasound, just the one at 20 weeks. I opted not to do the triple screen test (that screens for things like Down's Syndrome for the same reason. Too many false positives and I wouldn't follow it up with the more conclusive amnio because the risks were just not worth it to me.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 9:05 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I did it and of course it came back abnormal but it really just depends on you and your decision on having a baby with special needs if your completely ok with the possibilities then don't do it, it will just stress you out until the specialist says "you really don't have anything to worry about" but if you want to know about the other disabilities that the test check for do it and if the downs comes back abnormal you can refuse the further testing. GL
    aheuszel

Answer by aheuszel at 10:03 PM on Mar. 3, 2011