How do you keep your hair static-free in the winter?

I use conditioner and wash my hair every 2 or 3 days. I HATE how my hair gets static-ky in the winter. Any suggestions? (besides a dryer sheet!)

thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:41 AM on Nov. 21, 2008 in Beauty & Style

• LOL if you find a miracle let me know. The best thing I have found, along with the dryer sheet is VO5 Shower Works. It isn't the old school heat up V05, you put it on before you shampoo and work it in for a minute, then rinse and shampoo. Use it once a week or so. It's a small bottle that has 4 uses in it, depending on your hair length of course. I also run a humidifier in the house, that helps a little.
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 10:13 AM on Nov. 21, 2008

• i bought garnier fructis with micro waxes,its a spray for curl shaping but turns out it worked on my static.after hair wash and dry i spray on and wipe with my hands .
    postalmom1967

Answer by postalmom1967 at 10:46 AM on Nov. 21, 2008

• Smoothing serum and try to keep your hands off your hair the more you touch it the more staticy it gets
    teresalangston

Answer by teresalangston at 6:45 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• I spray detangler on before I leave the house, and when I'm out 'n about, I'll put lotion on my hands and then run them lightly over my head. I'm a low maintenance girl, I can't handle fancy hair products!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 2:14 AM on Nov. 22, 2008

• spray a little bit of a light hair spray on your brush then brush a little then do a little more spray and brush the rest it works for me .. i have very long wavy / currly hair
    iloveyall2008

Answer by iloveyall2008 at 12:22 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• synthetic materials/fibers tend to react to electricity in the air, which in turn, causes the hair to react also. in other words, wearing natural fibers around your upper body/neck will help keep static down to a minimum. although, not every solution works on hair that may be finer. its lighterweight than say coarser hair, so it will 'fly' more. some products(sans alcohols) will help weigh the hair down, as well. if you have fine hair, keep the product on your shaft/ends. too much smoothing/creams/sprays at the roots will render the scalp dirtier and end up looking oily too soon.
    Anonymous

• Thanks all! I actually tried the hairspray thing earlier this week before reading that reply -- and it did the trick!
    Anonymous

• Actually mine is worse in the summer. Try applying an anti frizz mouse and then straightening it.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 3:59 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• I spray John Freida Frizz Ease leave in conditioner in my hair when wet, then after styling, spritz abotu 2 squirts on my hand, rub palms together, them smooth hair down!
    aenima49

Answer by aenima49 at 9:56 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• OK ITS WEIRD BUT I HAVE 2 REMEDIES THAT WORK EVERY TIME FOR ME!
    1 IS TO TAKE A SHOWER IN WHATEVER TEMP YOU PREFER, YOU KNOW WINTER U USUALLY PREFER A WARM SHOWER....WELL THAT WARM SHOWER CAUSES STATIC. SO RIGHT BEFORE YOU GET OUT OF THE SHOWER RINSE YOUR HAIR WITH COLD WATER. JUST ENOUGH TO FEEL THE TEMP CHANGE ON YOUR HEAD. IT REALLY WORKS! I CONDITION EVERY DAY AND HAVE NO PROBS. YOU USUALLY RUN OUT OF THE SHOWER AFTER CUZ ITS SO COLD BUT HEY IT WORKS!
    ALSO, ITS WEIRD BUT IF YOU HAVE THE STATIC IN YOUR HAIR, RUB A DRYER SHEET ON IT. IF YOU FIND IT LEAVES YOUR HAIR FEELING GREASY--USE A ALREADY USED DRYER SHEET AND IT WILL NOT HAVE THAT EFFECT.
    HOPE THEY WORK FOR YOU, THEY WORK FOR ME!
    sassy_brizzy

Answer by sassy_brizzy at 2:07 PM on Dec. 3, 2008