How can I get my 4 y/o daughter to stop throwing temper tantrums?

She gets mad and scratches herself, throws things. I've tried taking away toys and time outs and even trying to talk to her and explain thats not the way she should act. I really need help with this

mommy1114

Asked by mommy1114 at 7:30 PM on Mar. 3, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Move her to her room for 'down time' (just like a time out.. but she can throw her toys, thrash her room, whatever.. but when the time is up she has to put her room back the way it was). I *think* this method is part of the 1-2-3 Magic book- a friend of mine has a daughter who had undiagnosed Asberger's, and used this method and it really helped.

For DD's tantrums, we used to ignore them- so she doesn't do them for attention. But when she does do them because she didn't get her way we send her to her room to calm down. She doesn't throw things, or anything, just removing her from the situation for a minute helps her to calm down.
    ceemuhreeashbee

Answer by ceemuhreeashbee at 7:45 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Did you ever just sit down (at her level) and ask her why she's so angry? Little ones can't express themselves well so maybe she just wants mom to get down with her and play or give her a hug. We show children how to act. They imitate us.
    Anonymous

• well her latest tantrum was because I sent her to her room for biting her brother. I have tried talking to her and I do various thing with them throughout the day so they dont act out from bordom. It's just if she doesnt get her way she flips out. She refuses to clean up the mess she made while throwing things, so I've started taking things away... hasnt worked so far
    mommy1114

Comment by mommy1114 (original poster) at 7:55 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• When you figure it out, would you let me know? Thanks!
    jengray72

Answer by jengray72 at 9:18 PM on Mar. 3, 2011