I am at a loss of what to do. I have an opportunity for a free education but my "disability" is in the way. need advice.

My disability is why they will pay for my education but I don't know what jobs/careers out there will allow me to have 4 to 8 sick days a month. I really want to be an occupational therapy assistant but I am considering medical laboratory technology too. Due to the fact that I feel there will be days where I am unable to work I am willing to settle for whatever career works best with my disability.....which is ....and I hate to say it for fear some may not understand...but its migraines. I'll go to work with a headache but there are times where it gets really bad to where I'm standing over the toilet nauseated among other symptoms that go along with my migraines.They get really bad and my mood gets so down I cry uncontrollaby at times which is embarassing when it happens in public. I get them 8 to 12 days out of the month and I also have been diagnosed with depression which seems to come right around the same time the migraines hit. I have been considered 30% disabled by the medical board of my last workplace. That was 11 years ago. I really would like a good career. (especially in the medical field...occupational therapy preferred) but I'm willing to settle for something else if need be. My question is does anyone know of a job that will allow 4 to 8 sick days.there some work from home or other flexible hours job out there. I have searched the internet and most of what I find I don't know if it's legit or not. Anyone familiar with the jobs I listed above and if they will work with you when it comes to needing more sick days than the average person.These migraines have interfered with my career in the past and now I fear its going to cause me to give up on a free education and my dream to become an occupational therapy assistant or some other job in the "helping people" fields. I really don't want to give this career dream up. I'd feel like a failure in a way if I did. I know I shouldn't feel that way but I hate that these migraines hinder my life the way they do. Theres got to be a solution. Just desperate for answers. Any advice is much appreciated.shrugging

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:55 PM on Mar. 3, 2011 in Money & Work

• There are jobs out there where a lot of the work can be done part in office and part remotely. I'm sorry to hear about your struggles. best of luck
    kayslay

Answer by kayslay at 8:14 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• found this to help you get some ideas too

http://www.careerbuilder.com/Article/CB-817-Changing-Jobs-10-Jobs-That-Let-You-Work-From-Home/
    kayslay

Answer by kayslay at 8:16 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• You can go into the health care field of your choice and still take the days off you need to.. I can be hard but many RN's, LPN's, RT etc work per diem.. Meaning that make a higher wage, no benefits or PTO but they work when they want to work.. Getting through school and clinicals might be hard because "they" are not as forgiving.. Only so many days scheduled for clinicals etc.. Call the school and talk to them. Call HR at several area hospitals and talk to them about per diem work or PRN as some call it..

Also have you tried the medications out that keep the migraines at bay.. Some work well but not for everyone.. I have daily HA and just deal :( Hugs to you, I know they suck when mine turn into a bad migraine..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 8:47 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• There is always the possibility of a job share!

Answer by rkoloms at 9:51 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• !!! thank you all. All great ideas. I'll look into them. :)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:28 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• taking medication can help
    brieri

Answer by brieri at 1:46 AM on Mar. 5, 2011