how do you get your dog to let you know when he has to go out?

we have had our dog for 5 mths he is still going in the house.

mommomdenise

Asked by mommomdenise at 9:46 AM on Nov. 21, 2008 in Pets

• I used the puppy pads to train my dogs. They learned to go on the pads and then I slowly moved them towards the door. Eventually they figured it out. Now they stand by the front door and look at me when they have to go.

Answer by gemgem at 9:52 AM on Nov. 21, 2008

• Yep puppy pads by the door, and what my dh did( that he regrets now!) was he actually took Teddy's foot, and scratched on the door with it, then put him outside. Well, it only took ONE TIME!! and Teddy has now scratched the door to get in and out so much that we have nice deeply embedded scratches in our kitchen door on both sides. BUT--no dog poop or pee on the kitchen floor!!
    Aprilmorgans

Answer by Aprilmorgans at 10:08 AM on Nov. 21, 2008

• its a natural behavior for dogs to circle before they go to the bathroom - so when ours were puppies we took them out everytime they started walking and sniffing in circles - now they circle in front of us and wait a the back door to be let out when they have to go
    tmcewen

Answer by tmcewen at 11:55 AM on Nov. 21, 2008

• If you start taking them out everytime they need to go (watch for the cues), they'll eventually just go to the door and bark, scratch, sit, whatever!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 4:38 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• my sheltie goes around in circles and whines.
    Val504

Answer by Val504 at 10:58 PM on Nov. 21, 2008

• I took my dog to puppy training. They said to buy a crate. I dog will not use the bathroom where they sleep. When you are not with the puppy put it in the crate. Make sure in a couple hours you let him out to go potty, eat, get a drink, play or whatever. Once they are trained the crate just makes a good bed or if you need them out of the way for cleaning or moving furniture around. Things like that.
    Xee

Answer by Xee at 6:57 PM on Nov. 22, 2008

• I just put the pad by the door. She just one day started sitting there staring at the door. So I took her out and she piddled. The next time she did it...she pooped. I cried like my child just used the toilet. See what my uncle did was one day he ran out of the piddle pads, so he grabbed a towel out of the crate and stuck it there for the time being...until I got home with a new pack. Well, she just would not go on the towel...did the trick. We still keep a pad out because sometimes she has uh-ohs at night...we are working on them.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 2:50 AM on Nov. 23, 2008

• We crate train our dogs and we took them out very often...at least once an hour. To get them to go to the door and scratch we would call her and have her follow us to the door. Then we would ask her in a very excited voice 'Do you wanna go out?'. She would get happy and excited about going out so before we opened the door we would take our fingers and scratch them in the spot we wanted her to scratch. She would put her paw up and scratch that spot and then we would open the door. Worked like a charm and no need for those puppy pads.
    mizkaye

Answer by mizkaye at 6:37 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• I am in the same dilema , my back door is not visable from the living room and her room is near the back door , so if I dont notice her get up and go out of the living room , or if I think she is going to her bed she piddles on the floor by the back door on the mat and its starting to smell even though i bleach disinfect the lot , she doesnt bark or scratch so what do I do .she goes to the potty outside no problem when we open the door but its catching her intime .
    loulou332

Answer by loulou332 at 5:52 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• i trained mine to sit everytime before i took her out..it was always the same door so eventually she just learned to sit by the door..if you can't see the door, try putting a bell on the door and make your dog nudge it every time you take him out so when you cant see him siting by the door, you'll hear him by the door. good luck!
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 4:06 PM on Dec. 1, 2008