Leftovers

How long are they good for in the fridge? My mom told me 2 days but thats not long at all and i waste soo much food that way.I am don't keep it more than a week for sure at the longest and i smell it first.

proudmom34

Asked by proudmom34 at 8:24 PM on Mar. 3, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Depending on what it is about 3 days. Meat, never more than 2.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:27 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I generally do a week unless its a soup or dry beans that were cooked.
    CandyHorse

Answer by CandyHorse at 8:33 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I've worked in food service for 5 years total and I've always been taught/told no more than 3 days.
    shortmommy23

Answer by shortmommy23 at 8:39 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I never eat them after 2 days, sadly I may only get around to cleaning out the fridge once a week. Seems I am the only one that will clean it out and also seems I am the only one that will eat left overs period. (In my home)
    smurfyangel

Answer by smurfyangel at 9:00 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• We eat stuff for up to 5-7 days (depending what it is). We've never gotten sick from eating older leftovers. I don't feed my kids the older leftovers, only DH and myself eat anything older than 4-5 days.
    Anonymous

• its according to what it is.... 3 days to a week.
    kalynskorner

Answer by kalynskorner at 9:11 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I do 3 days. I try to put some strategy in my meals so I can makeover leftovers. For example, I can put my fried rice leftovers in a casserole with more meat and a cream of chicken soup the next day...then its not fried rice anymore...its casserole. Beef roast is roast and veggies the first night, BBQ beef sandwiches the next, and if there is anything left after that...beef and noodles. Less goes to waste that way because I don't feel like I'm eating the same thing I ate last night (the kids fight worse on this).

On things that are hard to "makeover", I usually pack it right up in "lunch tuperware" (sectioned plates with lids I found at the dollar store) so it is really, really, really, convenient to grab for my LP and I to take with us to work for lunches. Not having to make something else in the morning makes leftovers appealing.

It really does save so much money, and I feel wasteful when I throw good food out.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:12 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I would say no more than 5 days.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:26 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• can store in freezer too last long
    brieri

Answer by brieri at 12:27 AM on Mar. 5, 2011

• I think it's more important to pay attention to how long something has been setting out at room temperature prior to going into the fridge. Especially in the summer time. If you've taken something to a picnic or pot luck and it sat out for several hours, I'd be careful how long I kept it for leftover, if at all. If you are working with fresh meats, veggies etc., cook your dinner, serve it, and put the leftovers away pronto, I'd say they would be good for 3-5 days. If they sit out on the counter while you watch the news and check your emails, you're asking for trouble.
    Holly C.

Answer by Holly C. at 9:19 PM on Mar. 9, 2011