Retelling a story

My 8 year old son is in second grade and he brings home a paper with a story on it once a week and than he has to go through it and write it like you would retell it but he has such a hard time doing it,h wants to recopy it word from word and i wont let him,tonight he cried.I felt so bad i usually pretty much tell him in around about way because he just doesn't get it.Can anyone help me to help him on it a little better?He should have about two sentences from each paragraph and the paper takes anywhere from 30-45 min. which is CRAZY!!! Any sugestions would be great!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:29 PM on Mar. 3, 2011 in General Parenting

• Try having him read it the whole way through first (or you read it to him) and then take the paper away and have him write what he read(or heard) . Or perhaps do the reading a paragraph then have him write down what he remembers from it and then the next paragraph and so on.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 9:00 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• I am sorry. I don't know. My kids are too young. Have you tried talking to the teacher? Maybe they'll know an effective/fun way to help him?
    Olivia4116

Answer by Olivia4116 at 8:41 PM on Mar. 3, 2011

• Although my 3-1/2 yr old can't write yet, he doe have a good time retelling me the story I read the night before. He's quite funny too. Read the story to him. Have him read it back and then make a game of it. You BOTH have paper and pencil and write things. Don't let him copy you though, sit opposite. Have a list of questions he has to answer. Something like...What did the little gingerbread man do? Why did he do that? Did he have friends? Where did he come from? After a few times, he'll know how to do a book report!
    BSWSC

Answer by BSWSC at 12:25 AM on Mar. 4, 2011